Grandpa maybe gave rebreather tech to Russians

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebreathergramps

Unverified
My grandpa took his boat out to use his 'special diving equipment' in the early early hours of May 24th, 1952 off of Long Beach, CA. A few hours later his boat was found without him on it. He was presumed drowned and declared dead.

I recently did 23andMe and found a close relative I didn't know. Turns out my grandpa didn't die and went on to have four more children in the 60's. They knew him by another name. He then disappeared from the 2nd family around 1969.

He was said to be very mechanically gifted and to have been working on a rebreather. He owned a tool and die shop on Terminal Island, Long Beach, CA. There were many Naval facilities nearby.

During WW2 he was not in the military, but worked as a tool and die maker. From looking at his draft card and looking through newspaper archives, where he worked received an award for excellence from the Army/Navy. They made precision gauges. A tool and die maker / machinist that knew how to make precision gauges could potentially be someone who could make a rebreather.

He most likely was just an asshole or mentally ill and that is why he disappeared from two families. Maybe he just went down to Mexico. But the rebreather take on his disappearance is tantalizing.

Upon researching rebreathers more, I came across the Marion Device.
The Marion Rebreather
It was being tested by the Navy Experimental Diving Unit. It used very cutting edge technology for the time. The patent application date for this device is May 23rd, 1952. My grandpa went missing in the early early hours of May 24th, 1952. He is not named on the patent. Maybe he was the one doing the actual metal work, the one actually crafting this device. Maybe something happened and he decided to give it to the Russians and then he disappeared.

On the Wikipedia for Russian Commando Frogmen, it lists a specific date of May 29th, 1952 of when the USSR had discussions for the need for combat frogmen.
Russian commando frogmen - Wikipedia.
This date is just five days after my grandpa goes missing.

• Love
Reactions: AWP
What is this?

If you want to send me a PM and tell me why this should be re-opened, fine. Otherwise…

🔒

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back