Hands in pockets! Finally!!

The Navy says hands in pockets is now OK. Good God I got in so much trouble for doing that.....

Finally, sailors can put hands in their pockets under policy update

I always thought this was kind of a silly rule. Treat adults as adults and they may act like adults. But, on the other hand it could also be viewed as lowering standards and I get that too. As an old soldier, it still doesn't sit right to me when I see young soldiers with cool hair, beards, etc. My generation was all about being clean shaven and wearing whitewalls. Times are changing.

I don’t care what the swab jockeys do. Marines need to keep their hands out of their pockets. It looks sloppy.

If hands were meant to not go into pockets, then issue trousers without pockets. The Navy did that forever with dress uniforms.

Looks sloppy, depends on the circumstance. In the field? Who cares?? In an office while chatting with your colleague? I don't think it matters. But other more public spaces or venues I buy that.

To me, so many times: "Doc! Get your hands out of your pockets!"
Me: "Eh, chill...."

It's good to be the doc.

I mean Dress uniforms, Service A’s, Service B’s and Utilities in garrison. Keep the cigarettes, gum, chaw in your socks.

Nobody gives a shit what you do with your pockets in combat or on FX.

Looking at the new Army walking aroiund overseas you'll notice grooming standards went right out the window. Guys all over with beard stubble, not wearing hats when outside, women with hair down.

I have no opinion on any of it, I never cared for any of that nonsense. The only thing I'm interested in is will these guys (and some girls now) go out and kill the enemy.

Looking at the new Army walking aroiund overseas you'll notice grooming standards went right out the window. Guys all over with beard stubble, not wearing hats when outside, women with hair down.

I have no opinion on any of it, I never cared for any of that nonsense. The only thing I'm interested in is will these guys (and some girls now) go out and kill the enemy.

I think there are some standards that are OK, but I think a lot of people believe some are good, some are 'meh,' and some should go. I think one should look professional for sure. What kills me is when some guy wants to go all drill field in the field, bitching about unbloused boots, stubble, hands in pockets. You can usually see pretty quick which leaders were infantry or field-oriented MOS and which ones weren't.

never cared for any of that nonsense.
Obviously, the standards are designed to deter war. The thought is that if our military looks strac at all times, others would think twice before fucking around and finding out. But I fucking hated shaving in the field, especially on a German winter morning at O dark thirty.

Obviously, the standards are designed to deter war. The thought is that if our military looks strac at all times, others would think twice before fucking around and finding out. But I fucking hated shaving in the field, especially on a German winter morning at O dark thirty.

Heard.

When I was in the reserves we were on a 3-day 'winter training' event in the mountains of NC. We had a major who was very, ah, OCD about uniform standards, even in the field. He did not like that I did not shave or blouse my boots in the field, much less wore non-issue headgear (black fleece beanie, before fleece was a thing in the military). He ragged me pretty hard. I told the first sgt, who did not care what we corpsmen did really, that if he wants to go full-on regs, then I would spend half the day doing ass checks for ticks, foot checks, bivouac sanitation inspections, etc., and ground the entire training plan. He was cool about it, knew what was going down. He went and talked to someone who talked to the major, who laid off.

"Standards" - It is a neat word to try and define in the context of "professional military"

What exactly is "The Standard" - and who sets it?

The Brits looked tight during the Boer War. The Brits got their asses kicked.

My thing was hair. Never had a problem doing hygiene and shaving, but the #4 guard on the sides of my head enraged quite a few people.

Back