Henry Kissinger dies at 100

He was an interesting man for sure, a genius. His army experience is pretty neat. Polarizing. Also a realist and ostensibly had politicians back down from a 'nuke the USSR at all costs' doctrine.

Yeah, he was a bit of a turd. His influence is undeniable, but his ethics and morals...they stand well below average politicians.

My favorite HK quotes: "If it were not for the accident of my birth, I would be antisemitic" and second place goes to "any people who has been persecuted for two thousand years must be doing something wrong."

He was complicated. He was the one calling for restraint when a lot of people wanted a nuclear war with the Soviets. He also saw the advantage of opening dialogue with China when he knew the Soviets might try the same thing. He believed in trying to achieve solutions that were mutually beneficial to multiple actors, he understood game theory in international relations.

But: he did not understand nuance, his ideas on détente were very rigid and required actors to act within specific parameters, his National Security Study Memorandum 200 was wholly unethical, he ignored war crimes when negotiating with other states, and his realpolitik, while a good goal, was really doing the wrong things for the right reasons/ends justifies the means.

Really? I had no idea....have to research that.

I’m curious to find out more about this as well.
Good book called The Raid, goes into extensive detail on the Son Tay raid planning, execution, aftermath.

The raid was scheduled for 24 October, but he argued against it because that was UN Day, and it wouldn't look good.

The camp got emptied, and 30 days later we hit a dry hole.

Fuck him.

Another great quote for you guys on how he is a massive piece of shit.

“Military men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy.”

People said a lot about McNamera, but I can tell you that every life lost weighed on him. Kissinger? He's basically Stalin level sadistic.

Another great quote for you guys on how he is a massive piece of shit.

“Military men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy.”

People said a lot about McNamera, but I can tell you that every life lost weighed on him. Kissinger? He's basically Stalin level sadistic.
source?

Woodward and Bernstien quote from a book they wrote about the Nixon years - supposedly said as an insult to Alexander Haig.

To be fair, if he said it about Al Haig he was probably right...

Kissinger was in the army as well, and had a pretty cool role.

Back