HMB Endeavour possibly found near Rhode Island

SpitfireV

Strike first, strike hard, no mercy!
This is an important part of NZ and Australia's shared maritime history. She was Cook's ship when he was charting around the Pacific and making scientific observations.

She was scuttled to help form a blockade in the Rebellion Against The Empire.

Note in the article they refer to her as HMS. This is not correct but is a common misconception. She wasn't considered a "ship" she was considered a "bark" because of her hull and layout.

Claim HMS Endeavour is found, solving one of the great maritime mysteries

I saw an item on the evening news regarding this & the clincher apparently is the rectangular lead ballast found with the remains. Incidentally, if you get a chance to watch Sam Niells' documentary series on Cook, it's well worth it.

Awesome! I bet archaeologists are frothing at the mouth to get the HMB Endeavour excavated. From what I hear, underwater archaeology is supposed to be the last frontier for people still interested in finding and digging up stuff. The last Indiana Jones types one might say.

Awesome! I bet archaeologists are frothing at the mouth to get the HMB Endeavour excavated. From what I hear, underwater archaeology is supposed to be the last frontier for people still interested in finding and digging up stuff. The last Indiana Jones types one might say.

My Alma mater has one of the best programs in the country. They send faculty and students all over the world. I would have loved to have done it.

Truly historic finds are falling like dominoes. Paul Allen's posting one "W" after another on his scorecard, both of Franklin's ships are now found, and then "one offs" like this one. Crazy. All of the...garbage in the world and humanity can still do stuff like this leveraging technology. Incredible.

Now if we could just find Hillary's emails....

Last edited:
Back