Holding out for a option 40. Advice please!?

Otto1722

Unverified
Hello everyone. So currently I’m 17 and in the process of joining the military. Since a kid I’ve always wanted to become a Army ranger like my uncle. I’ve been working hard and training everyday to prepare myself for it since I’m at a younger age.

The predicament I’m in is kinda tough for me. I went to MEPS already for 2 days. The first day I verified my PiCAT score. The second day I took my medical and discussed the jobs available for me. I ended up passing the medical and my score for the asvab/PiCAT was okay. I got a 62 and a 106 GT score. After my whole medical exam it was time for the recruiters/ counselors for the army to talk to me about the jobs that were available to me.They called me in the first time and a guy pretty much asked what job I wanted. I said I wanted 11x with a option 40. He looked on his computer and said that he only had infantry with the option 4 which is just airborne. Then out of nowhere a different recruiter comes up to me and says “is that going to be a problem?” I said yes it is because I’ve always wanted to be a ranger and don’t want to chance it down the road. Then they said okay we’re going to call ROC and see what we can do, but in the mean time go outside and wait.

After about an hour of waiting they finally call me back in. A different guy is speaking to me now and says that they called ROC and ROC gave them a number to a different person who supposedly can make “stuff happen” and he said “if they can pull strings it would be this person who could”. But he said unfortunately they just couldn’t pull any strings and can’t get the option 40 for 11x. He then proceeds to talk me out of going infantry and says try to pick a different job and a job that relates to “civilian life”. He also said that if I decide to wait it out for the job I want that it might take “1-2 years”! I simply just replied and said “thank you” and got up to call my recruiter. My recruiter and I both decided to wait it out and to leave MEPS.

When I left MEPS I called my recruiter again frustrated and pissed that this guy said “1-2 years”! I said it’s making me not trust the military now. But he said “ whoever talked to you left out a lot of info”. And pretty much that these contracts pop up and that people fail medicals and stuff and they’re up for grabs. He did say that him and his team are going to be checking everyday and will try there best to find this job.

So now I’m at the point of just a waiting game. I’m still training everyday until it pops up or hopefully does. I just want to be a ranger. My big thing is that I just really want to have it in the contract. A for sure spot to go to rasp and tryout. I don’t want to risk it and maybe have it pop up at Ait or anything down the road. I want to know for sure that I have a shot.

Do you guys think I’m doing the right thing of waiting it out? Has anyone else negotiated a option 40 contract? Any advice at all?

Thank you

Do you guys think I’m doing the right thing of waiting it out? Has anyone else negotiated a option 40 contract? Any advice at all?

Thank you

100%, no doubt in my mind. You are the billionth or so guy to come on here with this problem and the answer remains the same: hold out for the job you want. It is your life, not a recruiter's.

@DasBoot, you want to collaborate for a Sticky on the Option 40 process? Anyone else with recent experience as well?

Just wanted to give an update to any one wondering if the job popped up. Yes. The contract popped up a little over a month later. 11x with the option 40. Went to MEPS and swore in about a week ago. Ship out in a month! Thanks all for the reassurance and advice!

Back