Introduction from Peps

Peps

Unverified
Hi,

I joined this site so that I would be able to communicate with active/retired SOF about specific questions I may have. I've been spending a lot of time lately researching information related to SOF, the military in general, and law enforcement.
I'm going to give a brief overview of me, my choices, and my current situation. Nothing is meant to come across as bragging or arrogant. I don't know anybody that is in SOF. I never sat down and talked with someone in SOF. My knowledge of this community is what I've seen on youtube, and read online. A lot of that is from the last few days reading these forums, which prompted me to join.

For those who read the whole thing, please leave any feedback positive or negative. I'd rather just hear it cut and dry.

Here we go, it may get ugly...

I enlisted in the DEP when I was 17, and took the ASVAB at that time (2007). I scored 88 on the ASVAB, I enlisted as 11X. The primary reason I did this was to leave home.

-From Northern California, Bay Area
-Did horrible in school, starting in late elementary school. The only reason I got a high school diploma is because I was in the DEP, and I went to a "special" high school where I just brought in pay stubs from a job at the movie theater to prove I wasn't on the street all day. I got it though and did ok on the ASVAB at that time.
-I quit in basic at Benning. The shame in the decision still follows me in everything I do. I would rather just say I quit and call it what it really is. I'd rather people know it and not help me than hide from that.
-My RE code is RE3 with separation code JFV.
-I made some legal mistakes after I got out, these were later dismissed.
-I'll be 30 at the end of 2019
-I have tattoos on my hands that are large, but already have begun laser treatment. The Army recruiter I'm working with said they are doing hand tattoo waivers right now. Originally I was getting them lasered just to talk to a recruiter. He reached out to me last week to inform me there's a window open for it now.
-I'm talking to an Army recruiter, seems like he's interested. I reached out to the Navy as well and that recruiter said to stop by if the Army couldn't get me the waivers I need.

Overall, not the best looking prospect. I'm determined to see what my options are.

Some things I've done since I quit:
-AWS certified welder in several processes
-Training and competing in MMA (Boxing, Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Wrestling, Judo, Sambo and some Tae Kwon Do) for 7 years
-Got myself out of being homeless twice (How did I get there? I focused too much on training. I worked enough to pay my bills, and never saved. Eventually a few major bills or losing my job[not fired] forced me to reassess and regroup)
-Worked a lot of different types of jobs, picked up a decent amount of Spanish along the way. I currently work in security.

Why I want to join the military (again)
To create a better life for myself, and start a family. I'd like to be able to have a BA/BS or be able to give that to my child.
I want to be challenged, and I want a place where I can progress.

Why I want to join SOF
To be part of a community and team of elite professionals. Martial arts taught me a lot about myself that I never fully understood. I work better with a team if I can relate to them and bond with them. I want to be the best I can be at whatever I do. I can be meticulous with small details. I didn't have the mindset of never quit, accept nothing less than excellence as a kid.
I'm not in it for glory
I'm not in it for money
I'm not in it for women, or barracks frat parties
I'm not in it to say I did it or I'm doing it

I want to be one of the men that stand between evil and my country. I want to be the protector of those who cannot protect themselves. This is why I gravitated back to the military and possibly LE. I want to help people with direct action, if I'm qualified. I want to take the next step.

I believe I'm good enough to make the cut, even though there are many obstacles that I made for myself in life. Even though I quit before, I firmly believe redemption is possible, even in this case. Time will tell.
The recruiters working with me hopefully believe it too, or I don't think they would try to help someone in my situation. All I know is if I'm lucky enough to be given the chance again I will make use of it. I won't waste my time or the military's, especially not if I get option 40 in the contract, which he said is likely pending the background investigation. Once that comes back, we'll know if and how we can proceed. Really hoping for something other than "we tried and it's a no go".

What I'm looking at:
Ranger (RASP, be in Battalion)
SF
SEALS

Thanks for reading, hoping I'm not a lost cause

Thank you all for your service

Army recruiter said it could take awhile (up to a year). 50/50 chance because everyone up the chain has to read through all my court paperwork and the reasons why all charges were dismissed. After that he said it will likely get sent back down once or twice to be edited. This is also going to determine my security clearance eligibility as well.. Guilty by association in one incident 11 years ago, and all charges dismissed without prejudice within 1 year. I'm hopeful that the circumstances, time since, lack of further trouble, and some character reference letters will be enough to get in and get security clearance to get that option 40.
Applied with the Navy as well, recruiter said he would get back to me after command looked at all my court paperwork.
Gives me time to continue tattoo laser removal, college credits, PT, language proficiency, and other related skills. Going to stay motivated and hope for the best. I will update my progress here as it develops into something more real.

-I quit in basic at Benning. The shame in the decision still follows me in everything I do. I would rather just say I quit and call it what it really is. I'd rather people know it and not help me than hide from that.
-My RE code is RE3 with separation code JFV.
-I made some legal mistakes after I got out, these were later dismissed.
-I'll be 30 at the end of 2019

If you want to be a SEAL, you are going to need an age waiver. You currently need to be in bootcamp before you hit 29. I think SWCC gives you until you turn 31, so that might be an option for you. I’m not telling you an age waiver is impossible, but not likely, especially since you quit in basic already. The chances of someone quitting once usually foretell someone quitting again. USUALLY. That being said, I know SEALs and SWCC who have quit once and then made it through the second time after spending some time in the fleet.

I was 22 the first time I got a SEAL contract. I hurt myself and later came back. By the time my general waivers went through for Navy processing, I was too close to 29 to ship me off in time to let me keep a SEAL contract. SWCC gave me a little more time to work with, so I went with that.

The process for a Navy Special Warfare contract is as follows:
You join the navy with an arbitrary job/rate.
Once you have a selected rate and have chosen a ship out date and virtually completed the process you will enter what is called the “Delayed Entry Program” (DEP)
Once you are in DEP with your arbitrary rate (mine was Air Traffic Controller (AC)) only THEN you are allowed to go and take the Special Warfare challenge Physical Screening Test(PST). You have until the date you ship off with your arbitrary rate to get selected for a new special programs rate. Pick a ship off date as far far away in the future as you possibly can.
Once you get the scores you need, you will tell the Special Warfare scouts that you want to apply to tour prospective rate (SEAL, SWCC, EOD, Diver or Aviation Air Rescue). That is when they will look at your PST scores, your ASVAB scores, your existing waivers and your age. They will then determine if you are worth giving a waiver to. Once you are selected, your arbitrary rate and ship off date go away and you get an entirely new contract.

(2007). I scored 88 on the ASVAB

Your ASVAB only lasts two years. You will need to take it again. Go on amazon and buy a Kaplan current ASVAB study guide. If you get over a 91 it will definitely help you. An average ASVAB is not worth the waiver in their eyes.

Applied with the Navy as well, recruiter said he would get back to me after command looked at all my court paperwork

I can’t speak for the army, but what I can tell you that your recruiter won’t is that you can back out of your DEP within 90 days of your ship out date. That means if you jump into DEP with your arbitrary rate, and you aren’t in shape enough to get selected for a SEAL contract and you don’t want to go with one of the other special rates (like SWCC) then you can go to your recruiter and back out completely. You can also transfer all of that work you just did and try for the army. Just be open and honest with your recruiter once you get into DEP (don’t tell them you are gaming the system until you are in DEP), and talk to your army recruiter and tell him your plan. DO NOT BACK OUT AFTER YOU HIT THAT 90 DAY MARK, or you will ruin your chances.

I have tattoos on my hands that are large, but already have begun laser treatment. The Army recruiter I'm working with said they are doing hand tattoo waivers right now. Originally I was getting them lasered just to talk to a recruiter. He reached out to me last week to inform me there's a window open for it now.

I don’t have any tattoos, but I can tell you that SEAL and SWCC have full complete sleeves and tattoos on their hands and neck. They may have been grandfathered in though.

I want to be one of the men that stand between evil and my country. I want to be the protector of those who cannot protect themselves. This is why I gravitated back to the military and possibly LE. I want to help people with direct action, if I'm qualified. I want to take the next step.

This is your “reason why”. Nurture this, and remember this when your classmates are quitting because they just wanted to see how tough they are. If your reasons are strong enough, you will get through it. Good luck, keep me updated.

Back