::Introduction

Ares

Unverified
Good morning/afternoon/evening to all,

My name is R**** J**** A****, mostly called "RJ"; 15 years old, student, MARSOC MPC Enabler hopeful.

I've wanted to join the Raiders for a while, learning first about them back in 2013. Ever since 6-7 I've always thought that the military is the best way to self-actualize and reach my full potential, not to mention be able to do what I love to do, and protect the ones I love, all for Uncle Sam.

There is no military heritage in my family, excluding my grandfather, who fought for a short time in WWII as a guerilla against the Japanese, but he soon traded his M1 Carbine back for a plow. Everyone else in my family studies law or medicine. To be honest, the first thing that got me hooked on the Marine Corps were the recruiting commercials. Going through the hardest basic a young man can go through and earn the proud title, right? After I set my heart on the Marines I began to research more into the Corps and what she's got to offer, along with putting myself into the Marine Mindset of Honor, Courage, and Commitment.

I have grown up with Marines in my life, and a few (retired) SOF guys from the Vietnam War. The Marine I remember most was a big country guy (last name only, do not know if he would appreciate me talking about him) Flowers. He did a few tours as infantry, and I believe went Force Reconnaissance before I actually knew what that was; now I don't see him anymore, as he's moved. The more present SOF/Retired SOF guys are surprisingly my pastor, who did tours in Vietnam as SF, though he keeps it to that and is a good man to talk to about self-improvement. My girlfriend's father was a Team Guy, but does not talk about it at all, and I respect that.

He told me that anything in life worth fighting for is worth dying for. That includes my country, my family, my girlfriend, my classmates (even those I hate), and anyone around me. Telling this to everyone makes me feel a bit sheepish, because it feels as if I am glorifying myself. But to go on, I took that to heart. Everything I do, I do my best to give 110% and pour my heart into it. Whether that's in my AFJROTC PT runs, teaching other people how to do basic drill (I'm my Squadrons NCO), or just be there for others, everything I do, I do it with a clear mind.

What drove me to go from wannabe Marine to wannabe Raider were recent events.
On 3/4/15, one of my best friends commited suicide for unknown reasons. He was as close to me as I thought a guy could get, and was a ray of sunshine for his community. That really shook me up and still to this day I think about him every day. He had a companion Malinois, and I grew to love her too, and I love being around dogs. I looked into being K-9 in the Corps and found out about MPs having K-9s; I wasn't too eager for this because I want to go the Infantry > Recon > MARSOC route, and not go through the POG bs. I think being a MARSOC Enabler would be the best thing I could do to serve my country at its fullest, to honor my friend. Another reason was my girlfriend's father. I look up to him as if he was my own, he is an example, being there for his family 24/7, understanding, firm yet flexible. When I heard that they were moving upstate, I was devastated. I grew up with him in my life, and recently got his permission to date his daughter. The combination of losing her and my friend almost broke me.

But it didn't. With lots of time on my hand to contemplate life and discover my purpose, I began to train. I run a mile or two every day, depending on the time I have, I do pushups, burpees, pullups, and calisthenics daily. I'm in the process of ordering some Airsoft gear, being a replica Plate Carrier (6094 style), pouches, a replica MICH2000, and a Gas-Blowback M4, to get the feel for gear and the workings of a rifle without the price of travel and real steel (no outdoor ranges in my area, only a small indoor one). I am also starting to work with a young Belgian Malinois under the supervision of a trainer and police veteran, and I look forward to work daily, for both gear and dog; don't get me wrong, I do do regular teenager stuff, but when I get home, it's time for work.

I believe this site will help me for the better, possibly getting input from guys who've really been there and done that, and the advice that may come. Only problem I have now is my father, who is against me joining the Corps and anything SOF related, and is giving me a tough time for the (Airsoft) gear and the Malinois acquisition.

Thanks all,
RJ

PII edited by a Moderator due to age and stated career goals - be careful

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome.

Please re-read the "New members start here" thread.

Relax... Take your time, learn the site, learn the people, don't volunteer as much information as quickly you have above. Be a kid, get good grades, do stupid stuff (but not stupid enough to get in legal/moral/ ethical trouble), play sports, enjoy life... You have a minimum of 4 years before you can enlist... don't stop learning, but don't focus everything on becoming a Marine, be a good person, learn to be a good man - diversify your interests be a whole person - if you still decide after you turn 18 to be a Marine, it will make you a better, more well rounded Marine.

Relax, enjoy your youth... unless something really incredible happens, the Marines will be there when you are ready to enlist.

Welcome.

Relax... Take your time, learn the site, learn the people, don't volunteer as much information as quickly you have above. Be a kid, get good grades, do stupid stuff (but not stupid enough to get in legal/moral/ ethical trouble), play sports, enjoy life... You have a minimum of 4 years before you can enlist... don't stop learning, but don't focus everything on becoming a Marine, be a good person, learn to be a good man - diversify your interests be a whole person - if you still decide after you turn 18 to be a Marine, it will make you a better, more well rounded Marine.

Relax, enjoy your youth... unless something really incredible happens, the Marines will be there when you are ready to enlist.
Understood, thanks for the time. Re-reading.

Welcome.

Echo the Troll. Welcome. Be a kid for pete's sake! Sorry for your loss. I have been there...

M.

Welcome! I used to be surprised seeing 'kids' joining this site, but now I have a 12 year old who is digesting my old Marine's field guide, read Violence of Action, and seeks out every "how I became a SEAL" book he can get his hands on (which is not difficult LOL). Surprising, some even in his middle school library! When I was your age I probably read the majority of the Vietnam "I was there" books available, now I see that continuing with today's generation of young men reading the post 9/11 books. (Don't forget the Nam vets though...Chickenhawk and Fields of Fire are always my two must reads)

Get good grades, I mean REALLY good grades! especially in math. I went to boot camp having never heard of a general order or even knowing there was a Marine's Hymn, those days are long past. I envy you some in your youth, take advantage of the resources available to you - believe it or not, there was a time without internet and the only resources available were some of the books I listed above, and maybe a tri-fold color pamphlet your recruiter would give you - the point? Be careful about focusing so much on collecting data (aka G2'ing) that you forget that your physical preparedness and desire to finish what you started will be the two assets that help you most.

I wish you the best of success -

I enjoy reading threads by our younger generation who sincerely desire to serve their country. I even more enjoy reading threads years from their initial post whereby they update us on their achievement of those goals.

Have fun...do well in school...stay focused...and then drive-on to those goals 25 meters at a time.

Welcome aboard hard charger... I'll second what everyone else has said.
Focus on school, and keep your nose clean. Maintain and enjoy your youth while you can.

Thanks all, for the welcome. Charge slowed :thumbsup:. Just eager to get in the fight. Doing my best in school.
Welcome! I used to be surprised seeing 'kids' joining this site, but now I have a 12 year old who is digesting my old Marine's field guide, read Violence of Action, and seeks out every "how I became a SEAL" book he can get his hands on (which is not difficult LOL). Surprising, some even in his middle school library! When I was your age I probably read the majority of the Vietnam "I was there" books available, now I see that continuing with today's generation of young men reading the post 9/11 books. (Don't forget the Nam vets though...Chickenhawk and Fields of Fire are always my two must reads) -

I read as much as I can, lots of Marine/SOF Iraq/Afghan types (Generation Kill, Level Zero Heroes, and Jarhead :sneaky:), couple Dick Couch books, Graeco-Persian Wars, 'lil bit of Art of War, and Bruce Lee's Striking Thoughts, being the most interesting. I get a lot of "dude why so many war books?!"; usual teen "story books" don't have that same appeal. I'll be sure to hunt down Chickenhawk and FoF!

Back