Introduction

Greetings,

I am 2LT Susi TA (been in the reserves for 20+ yrs), a former FDF (Finnish Defense Force) Sissi Officer. Served during 1989-1992 in the old FDF system before the Special Jaegers, Paratrooper Officer training moved from RUK SissiK to Utti, etc. were even thought about (e.g. Para Officer training was moved when I was in service [one of my DIs was still an Utti Cadet in RUK], SJs only appeared in 2005 and were based on my former unit's training, etc.) and my service was in the sweet spot allowing me to be one of "the Last Guardians of Western Frontier" in the Cold War, go through the Moscow Coup times, massing of Soviet troops along the Finnish border, Gulf War, Yugoslavian Civil War (i.e. Balkan Wars), and so on.

Yes, it was quite exciting times from a military perspective and especially if you share 1,100 miles of land border with Soviet Union/Russia...

I wanted to join because I am seeing fluctuating quality of describing Finnish "SOF" and would like to offer a first-hand experiences / facts on the topic. I understand people like to speculate and use "public information sources" (sanitized) to base their assumptions on. I have no assumptions to deliver (as a former Recon Officer) and only speak of what I did myself or observed with my own two eyes.

Glad to be here and hopefully I can shed some light to the mysterious Finnish "SOF"; it's history (long!), existence during Soviets / post-Soviets, etc.

Best Regards,

2LT Susi TA

Back