Introduction

mst7107

Unverified
Hello everyone,

A bit about me:
I currently work at a dealership selling auto parts but planing to join the Army with an 11x option 40 contract at the end of the year. I originally planned to join when I graduated high school at 17 but got bribed out of it with a new truck by my father (immature mistake). Now being 26, I do regret that decision but I have learned some important life lessons/skills and am much more mature than I was 9 years ago.

My focus right now is getting physically in shape to prepare for BCT/RASP. I am currently 6'1" and 209lbs (down from 252lbs 3 1/2 months ago), working towards 175ish (unsure of what weight I should be shooting for).

My main obstacle right now is running. My current time is about 11:30/mi, trying to get it down to 7:30 or better. I'm mainly running on asphalt with no weight, stretching before and after every run, some body weight training, and working on my push-ups and sit-ups (I want to max out the PT test). Trying to eat a healthy diet, drinking lots of water, and getting my daily vitamins. I also haven't really worked on rucking as I have read a lot of conflicting info as to how much weight (if any) to carry and what distances to start with and would like to avoid over training or putting a stupid/unnecessary amount of weight in a pack and trying to power through a 10mi ruck. The thing that makes the most sense to me is to start off small with a 3 mile, then 5 mile, then 7 mile, ect. then adding weight in 10lb increments once I can do 7-10mi no problem without weight but I'm unsure if that would be too slow of a workup or if I'm overthinking it a bit too much.

I've been using the search feature on ShadowSpear for about a year now to help answer most of the questions I've had so far and have had great results doing so however,
Any tips or recommendations on how to better my running/rucking are welcome and appreciated!

Back