Introduction

7bones

Army Infantry
Verified Military
Good evening,
I am a new, vetted member. I served 12 years in the Arkansas Army National Guard. First as an 13B Cannon Crew Member, then after my first enlistment I transitioned to an 11B Infantryman. I ETS'd in November 2018, just 9 months ago. I separated as an E-6 Staff Sergeant and a weapons squad leader. I deployed once to Iraq, Feb 2007-Feb 2008. We conducted convoy security and was awarded a CAB during the deployment.
I am currently in the process of reenlisting in the active Army, hoping for an 18X contract. I meet all the requirements for an SF contract, and it's taken a few months to get to the point I am now. I am hoping to go to MEPS next week for the physical portion. Then my recruiter will need to submit my waivers. Once they clear, I'll go back to MEPS to select my MOS.
I am 35 years old, and this is essentially my last shot at serving my country in the capacity I've wanted to for years. Any advise, or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your service.

Hi 7Bones,

What are the current age requirements as prior service for an 18-C contract?
I am 35 and was under the impression the age cutoff for SF is 35. But currently USAREC's age limit for SF is 31, or 32. My recruiter called the SF recruiters and they said it shouldn't be a problem. But with that being said, it will also depend on how hard your recruiter is willing to work for you.
We've been working on getting me back in for about 5 months now. I went to MEPS a couple weeks ago. Spoke with the USAREC security clearance pre-screening people yesterday. Today my recruiter is submitting my age waiver. This is the last hurdle and as long as the waiver clears I will be going back to MEPS to enlist in the next week or so and get a ship date.
I'm curious to see what the process will be for me since I am already an 11B with 12 years prior service. I haven't even been out for a year yet. Not sure where I'll report, or where in the pipeline I'll fall in.
As far as an 18C, I believe you'll just go in under an x-ray contract and MOS's will be assigned down the road in the Q-Course.
The only advise I can provide for prior service looking for an 18X contract is to go in and talk with a recruiter and demonstrate your desire and always be mindful that you are asking for a favor. They, or the Army for that matter, doesn't owe you anything. I'm sure there are tons of fresh, young applicants they are getting in the pipeline. Be courteous, respectful, and they will most likely help you out.
Good luck sir.

Thank you for the detailed response. 18C was definitely a typo😂. Good luck to you! I can’t wait to hear good news regarding your contract.

Back