Introduction

SleDDog1

Unverified
Hello everyone,

I am a 22-year-old student in Missouri set to graduate with my Bachelor's degree in criminal justice this November. I have a ship date of February 8th (SWOE-V) and hope to pursue a career in Special Reconnaissance in the Air Force if I am selected. Recently I was diagnosed with a mild case of Crohn's Disease and was curious to see if anyone had any knowledge of dealing with Crohn's in the military and what their experience was like with the disease. I know it is for the most part non-waiverable, but that is neither here nor there. I refuse to give up my chance of serving at the highest level because of a diagnosis that has ailed me with minor symptoms at best (so far).

- Best wishes

Welcome. The two people I have known with a crohn’s diagnosis were both medically separated. I will caveat that info that both of those people were in aircraft maintenance, and maintenance doesn’t always fight for their people like ops does. However, I will also say that maintenance is also a more permissive environment than SR when it comes to intestinal issues while on the job.

I’m a bit confused about your diagnosis, but also having a ship date for SWOE-V. Hope you get a solid answer.

The one I know was diagnosed with it while in the military (Army). They gave him the option to medically separate or stay in. I believe he is getting disability now. They may or may not offer you the choice if you start complaining of symptoms.

If you choose to not say anything about it, you’ll have a tough time hiding it, especially if you need treatment. It will be expensive for you to see a civilian doctor secretly and if you are in a situation where you can’t get private treatment it may be dangerous for you. I have seen Crohn’s get bad if you don’t dial in your diet. Sometimes you won’t have the option to choose your diet (MREs).

@JedisonsDad Sir, as of right now the Air Force is not aware of my Crohn's diagnosis and I do not plan on letting them know, for that matter. I have already been through MEPS and I am medically cleared.
What you have just done is called fraudulent enlistment, and is a felony.

And for those thinking I’m being harsh, he isn’t lying about a speeding ticket when he was 16, he’s hiding a condition that affects his readiness and puts a strain on the military medical system, and potentially the VA medical system.

What you have just done is called fraudulent enlistment, and is a felony.

And for those thinking I’m being harsh, he isn’t lying about a speeding ticket when he was 16, he’s hiding a condition that affects his readiness and puts a strain on the military medical system, and potentially the VA medical system.
And you just admitted to fraud on the internet. Don’t think that can’t come back at you.

Imagine this, you somehow make it through the next two years of some of the worlds hardest training and you are on your first actual combat mission. You and your team are in a hide site and collecting pre invasion intelligence but you suddenly have a bad flare up of the disease you have hidden from the AF and your teammates. They are forced to pull the team and command misses a key piece of information that cost lives when the shooting starts. It’s about more than you and what you want, do it the right way.

Back