Iranian sub in Strait of Hormuz

LimaOscarSierraTango

Infantry
Verified Military
I didn't see anything come up in a search...

It looks like Iran is attention whoring again. I really don't think this will have a significant impact on anything, but maybe I am wrong. I thought it was interesting they mentioned a 3 or 4 front war. I guess it is possible if they get the support of surrounding countries and organizations. If not, I have a hard time believing Iran can compete on more than 2 fronts. Can people better schooled than I am in this region pop in with some thoughts?

Days after the US and 30 other nations began naval exercises in the Persian Gulf; Tehran has announced it is sending a Russian submarine to bolster its forces in the area.

The Taregh-1, one of three Russian built Kilo class submarines, was sent to the southern port of Bandar Abbas, after completing a refit earlier this year.

The deployment comes as Iran strengthens its naval forces in the region. A destroyer, the Sahand, has also been launched after an overhaul and is expected to be ready for operations in the near future.

The country’s Supreme leader, Ayatollah Khameni, who has command of all military affairs, said that Iran has no intention of attacking another nation.

“The armed forces should be upgraded in such a way that no one will be able to violate the reinforced fortress of Iran,” Khameni said Tuesday whilst visiting a naval base in the northern Iranian port of Noshar.

The Iranian deployment comes two days after US led anti-mine sweeping exercises got underway in the Persian Gulf.

30 countries are participating in the maneuvers and today three British warships joined the armada. Other countries taking part include Saudi Arabia and France.

They are being interpreted as a show of force, warning Tehran not to disrupt vital oil routes in the Strait of Hormuz. 18 million barrels a day, some 35 percent of the world’s oil shipments, pass through the 21 mile wide channel every day.
navy-destroyer-cole.jpg

The U.S. Navy destroyer USS Cole (DDG 67),(Reuters / Sgt. Don L. / USA Marine corps)
Bluster or Bluff?

The UK defense Secretary Phillip Hammond stressed the underlying reason and timing for the exercise: “The UK is committed to a presence in the Gulf to ensure freedom of navigation in international waters such as the Strait of Hormuz, disruption to sailing in the strait would threaten regional and economic growth. Any attempt by Iran to do this would illegal and unsuccessful.”

American officials insist that the exercise is entirely defensive in nature and not directed at any particular country. The US has amassed a large naval presence in the area including three aircraft carriers, with a fourth potentially on its way, which have more air power than the entire Iranian air force.

The drill comes at a very sensitive time for the region amid the diplomatic war of words over Iran’s nuclear ambitions and the threat of Israeli airstrikes.

Middle east expert and author, Tariq Ali, told RT that in the event of an Israeli or US attack, Iran would retaliate by launching offensives on several fronts.

“They are basically saying that they could open new fronts in Afghanistan, they could open up new fronts on the frontiers of Iraq and they could unleash Hezbollah on Israel and so it would not be simply an air war, it would be a war that they would fight on three or four different fronts and the United States is aware of this,” He said.

But he doubts whether the latest round of sabre rattling between Iran and the west means an attack is imminent.

“When the Israelis normally decide to carry out an attack, they don’t announce it before hand; I mean this was the case before they destroyed the nuclear reactor in Iraq. So whether this is still rocket rattling or something more serious remains to be seen,” He said.
SOURCE

This morning Iran decided it would be a good idea to launch a submarine and a destroyer into the same waters in which the U.S. is concurrently conducting a training.

Iran's news agency says the country sent out its "refitted" Tareq-901 submarines and the Sahand destroyer on direct orders of Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, according to Reuters.

The Tareq is a Russian-made, diesel sub that has 18 torpedoes, surface to air missiles, and shallow depth capabilities. Most analysts consider it an "anti-shipping" sub, but it can certainly see use within the Strait of Hormuz.

As Iran's nuclear program progresses, Israel continually threatens preemptive intervention. Iran has repeatedly threatened to close the straight of Hormuz if Israel attacks, and with tensions mounting, it seems that both sides feel the need to flex military might.

Meanwhile, the Ayatollah traveled to Nowshahr that same day to watch naval cadets perform exercises. Among these exercises: Mine planting, freeing hijacked ships, destroying enemy vessels, and jumping from helicopters. That's all according to the leader's official website.

The U.S. International Mine Countermeasures Exercise 12 "focuses on interoperability among navies and also among the triad of air, ship and undersea platforms that deliver full-spectrum mine countermeasures capability" and includes over 20 nations.

Mohammad Ali Jafari, commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard, tried to remain opaque to local media, "(The American) exercise is a defensive exercise and we don't perceive any threats from it, we are not conducting exercises in response."

Business Insider's own Robert Johnson is covering the IMCEX 12 from inside those very waters—keep checking in, he should be providing content soon.
SOURCE

Back