Land Nav Help

Peirg

Unverified
Hello Everyone,

I am planning on enlisting 18x in the next year or so. In the mean time I’ll be training and I figured it’s time to start learning land navigation. Anybody got any good tips on land nav?

Spatial awareness and proprioception are highly underestimated in my opinion. The thing that has helped me out the most when practicing land nav is just being able to really focus on the terrain, and understand where I am in relation to other terrain features in the area (terrain association). This is much more difficult to do at night, but with practice, you will get better and better at it.

What has NEVER helped me with land nav is just burying my head into my map and compass, and attempting to just stay on one single azimuth for miles. That always messes me up.

Ultimately, think of just becoming a general outdoorsman. How does a creek sound when you are standing on the opposite side of the hill adjacent to it? How do different types of earth (dirt, sand, rock) feel under your feet and how do you relate that to what you see on your map? How do smells change as you enter different biomes, and what does that mean?

By using all of your senses in a combined effort, you will essentially become "in tune" with nature, and navigating will become that much easier.

I know its been awhile since your original post, but hope this helps you or someone else.

While you may have posted some valuable points, refrain from giving advice here unless someone specifically asks you. Guys come here to get advice/mentorship from vetted SF guys.

OP sorry I missed your post. We are busy and don't always get time to see/respond to everyone, but we try.

I'm going to make you do a little work and search the forum for previous advice on land nav. You'll find a series of videos on YouTube that I linked to. It's a good land nav primer.

Other than that find an orienteering club if you want hands on experience before shipping.

While you may have posted some valuable points, refrain from giving advice here unless someone specifically asks you. Guys come here to get advice/mentorship from vetted SF guys.

OP sorry I missed your post. We are busy and don't always get time to see/respond to everyone, but we try.

I'm going to make you do a little work and search the forum for previous advice on land nav. You'll find a series of videos on YouTube that I linked to. It's a good land nav primer.

Other than that find an orienteering club if you want hands on experience before shipping.

Tracking.

Back