Language Proficiency

Punjabi5

Army
Verified Military
Hello how is everybody doing I am prior service Infantrymen and I just left the Army a couple months back and am looking into trying out for Selection through the Guard but am looking at finishing up some college first and trying out for the SFRE. My question is I have talked to many people and have looked throughout this post but I am curious as I am not sure how this works for the Language phase in the Q Course if you already can speak a Foreign language orally but not read or write? Does this mean that I would have to retake a different language or would it mean I would have to further learn the skills in those languages I speak but cannot read or write? I asked the Recruiter and when I was Active Duty and no one really could answer my question as their were no SPECIAL FORCES Soldiers where I was stationed in Wainwright. The languages I speak are Punjabi, Hindu, and Urdu. Thank you for all your help and I apologize if I am wasting time.

They are constantly changing their policy for language. When I went through, even if you spoke a language, they made you do language anyway, but put you in an "advanced" course. They changed it as I was leaving the school house and trying to get guys who could speak a target language to skip language school. Whatever guard unit you go through, ask them, they should have a good answer for you.

You should just mentally prepare to do 6 months in language school, potentially in a new language too. Just talk to the cadre if/when you get to language, and see what they can do for you. There are a lot of hurdles between now and then for you.

They are constantly changing their policy for language. When I went through, even if you spoke a language, they made you do language anyway, but put you in an "advanced" course. They changed it as I was leaving the school house and trying to get guys who could speak a target language to skip language school. Whatever guard unit you go through, ask them, they should have a good answer for you.

You should just mentally prepare to do 6 months in language school, potentially in a new language too. Just talk to the cadre if/when you get to language, and see what they can do for you. There are a lot of hurdles between now and then for you.

I apologize for the late response I have been busy with college and taking care of my dad as he sick from septic shock. Worried he doesn't get sick from this Covid bullshit. I took your advice and called today one of the recruiters out of state and told me they will give me an OPI once I get to language phase but he also told me what you have pointed out that I may have to learn another language while I'm their too. Either way I'm very excited and I really love this website for giving me this awesome insight. I appreciate your help. Thank you so much.

I understand guys wanting to shorten the pipeline by skipping a language if they already have one, BUT...has anyone here lost a job opportunity because they knew too many languages?

I understand guys wanting to shorten the pipeline by skipping a language if they already have one, BUT...has anyone here lost a job opportunity because they knew too many languages?

That is a great point. I guess for me I just really liked to idea of being in a Group where I felt my language skills would be a plus but on the other hand I am going the Guard route so I guess all languages are a plus then.

It’s a case of “take all instructions from the tower.” If they tell you to learn another language, go for it. If they say “you’re good in language, get through the course” then do that too. Especially if your group will do things in INDOPACOM.

It’s a case of “take all instructions from the tower.” If they tell you to learn another language, go for it. If they say “you’re good in language, get through the course” then do that too. Especially if your group will do things in INDOPACOM.

Thank you I will keep this in mind. I am excited regardless of the outcome. Its just always been my dream and being a Grunt definitely solidified my decision that this is what I want in my life more than anything. I appreciate your advice.

Having been in Language recently I can clear some of this up hopefully.

First, the language portion is at the end so I wouldn't think too far into it. Second, the whole goal of the language portion is to get you to at least a 1+ score on the OPI test. It doesn't matter what your DLPT score is, the final test here in language (OPI) is over the phone, conversing with a tester.

It is good that you already speak multiple languages, but I have seen it go both ways. Sometimes those who already speak a language get put into that language in either the advance course (3 months in to the regular course) or get scheduled to take an OPI immediately to move on to Group. The Cadre will set you up with a mini-interview type thing, where you're talking with one of the language instructors in your specialized language, and if they deem you proficient enough, they'll let you attempt the OPI- or as I've said, put you in the advanced course.

Ultimately, whenever you get to the language portion of the Q course (the very end), it is going to depend on the needs of Group. One of my friends had already tested out of Portuguese, and they had him do Spanish because that's what Group needed. Best of luck!

Having been in Language recently I can clear some of this up hopefully.

First, the language portion is at the end so I wouldn't think too far into it. Second, the whole goal of the language portion is to get you to at least a 1+ score on the OPI test. It doesn't matter what your DLPT score is, the final test here in language (OPI) is over the phone, conversing with a tester.

It is good that you already speak multiple languages, but I have seen it go both ways. Sometimes those who already speak a language get put into that language in either the advance course (3 months in to the regular course) or get scheduled to take an OPI immediately to move on to Group. The Cadre will set you up with a mini-interview type thing, where you're talking with one of the language instructors in your specialized language, and if they deem you proficient enough, they'll let you attempt the OPI- or as I've said, put you in the advanced course.

Ultimately, whenever you get to the language portion of the Q course (the very end), it is going to depend on the needs of Group. One of my friends had already tested out of Portuguese, and they had him do Spanish because that's what Group needed. Best of luck!

Thank you for this insight I am happy to here what are most likely the outcomes. No matter what I will be more happy to serve and be apart of the SF community no matter what language category. That is awesome to here because I speak in my household and family members only in my native tongue Punjabi everyday and a few other friends in Hindi/Urdu so I can definitely have a conversation over the phone fluently. I am very happy with this information. Thank you

Thank you for this insight I am happy to here what are most likely the outcomes. No matter what I will be more happy to serve and be apart of the SF community no matter what language category. That is awesome to here because I speak in my household and family members only in my native tongue Punjabi everyday and a few other friends in Hindi/Urdu so I can definitely have a conversation over the phone fluently. I am very happy with this information. Thank you
Yea man, Best of luck!

Back