LPCs (care for the modern combat boot)

MikeDelta

Military Police Soldier
Verified Military
Standard issue black leather boots, jungle boots, Cochrans’, Matterhorns and Schwarzkopfs’...the boots of my service era.

I’ve beat some of these boots to death and have spit shined and polished some of these as well. However, I just broke down and purchased a pair of Garmont T8s, AR 670-1 compliant; partially because I was curious as to what the newest authorized footgear brings to rucking.

Called customer service regarding a simple question with no luck. The manufacturer suggests using a ‘lanolin’ based product to condition the T8s, but good ol’ saddle soap is not recommended for ‘suede’ leather.

Is anyone actually conditioning their suede combat boots and if so, with what?

Saltwater then neatsfoot oil(old skool). Not sure about suede other than wear break in.

Saltwater then neatsfoot oil(old skool). Not sure about suede other than wear break in.

Thanks. That's what I thought as well; wear break-in, especially being that the new issued boots require no boot polish. But, the care instructions call for a product with lanolin...Saddle soap has lanolin, but it is not recommended for suede...I'll keep digging

Last edited:
Here's what I came across @MikeDelta , I found that these boots are very low maintenance. A lot of this is blah blah, but I copied it entirely.

Edit removed link but Taken from ArmyStudyGuide.com
Use and Care Instructions Army Combat Boot (Hot Weather)
1. Wear with: 1 pair of socks, cushion sole, acrylic, polyester olefin or nylon/lycra blend or other depending on safety/uniform requirements; 1 pair of insole inserts if desired.
b1_2903.jpg

2. Sizes. These boots are supplied in whole and half sizes 2 through 16 and widths N (B), R (D), W (EE), and XW (EEEE). In some instances, it may be necessary to select a slightly larger size than normally worn in order to allow for normal swelling of the feet and the use of insole inserts or cushioned socks.
3. Pull on boot seating heel firmly into place, then lace. Boots should fit snugly but not tightly. There should be at least a 3/4-inch minimum additional length at toe.
4. Trousers should be bloused over the outside and below the comfort collar of the boot.
5. Break-in: DO NOT soak boots in water or bake in an oven to break-in. Boots should be wornin gradually at first with ever-increasing walking or marching distances while remaining comfortable. If blistering occurs, check to make sure that boots are fitted properly and that you are wearing recommended socks.
6. Your Combat Boots are made of water resistant materials. Boots may become damp or wet due to excessive perspiration or water coming over the top of the boot or in through the drainage eyelets. If boots become wet, empty excess water, change socks, and continue to wear while changing socks regularly. Boots will dry much faster when worn than if left to stand and dry. DO NOT expose boots to excessive heat to dry, including hair dryers, heating vents, stoves etc.
7. Your Combat Boot is designed for maximum performance in a field environment. Do not apply polish to your Combat Boots.
8. Your Combat Boots are designed to be easy to care for. The nylon quarter side panels of your boots are as strong as leather and will last if cared for properly. To clean your Combat Boots, brush with stiff nylon bristle brush to clean and then use warm water. Do not use soap to clean your boots. If additional, more stringent cleaning is necessary, only water-soluble cleaning products should be used as oil- or alcohol-based cleaning products may damage your boots.
9. Your Combat Boots come with a replaceable rubber outsole. Do not wear sole past rubber outsole into the softer midsole material or permanent damage to your boots will occur. The midsole is the soft cushioned material between the rubber lug outsole and the boot upper.
10. (Must include information on how/where the boots can get resoled or who to contact to receive information on resoling.)

The above information was received in an email

As you can see nothing about lanolin specifically. Above in 8 is the only meantioned instance of oil based product may damage your boot. Since your 1st Civ Div you can do as you want. Only care I gave mine was "did it fit?" Other than that, they were just treads.

Almost forgot, I'd get muddy and soaked most of it would fall off; but If I had to, I'd wash my boots off with pressure washers while we cleaned our vehicles before returning to motorpool.

Last edited:
Thanks. This all makes sense. No idea why the care tag from Garmont called for rubbing a light coat of lanolin based product into the leather...This changed the finish a bit...irritating. Anyway, I’ll just start wearing them, beat em up and follow the SOP you sent. Thanks again.

Back