Marine helicopter squadron commander fired

In your opinion sir, was her career salvageable if she had self-reported the arrest?

I'm not looking to defend her actions, just trying to understand state of mind.

She's not the first Marine to get herself arrested, and especially for that specific infraction. But now her truthfulness and integrity will always be in question wherever she goes in the Corps. And after the Corps for that matter. #Google.

J.J. DID TIE BUCKLE - That's Marine Corps 101, and to this day I still remember the Integrity lesson from boot camp. Often I think these firings are over-reactions, but in her case I would be more concerned about her decision not to self-report than the arrest itself. As her boss I would think, you run a helo squadron, if you'll hide something that you know I will eventually find about about, what might you be hiding within your command?

A shame all around.
A DUI is grounds for relief from platoon commander to Commandant and will absolutely kill a Marine officer's career. Domestic abuse? You might as well pull the pin on a nuclear grenade. No way to escape the carnage. Keep in mind that the Marine Corps has the lowest selection/promotion rates in the military. You may be able to survive a DUI as a Lt but not as a senior officer.

We also have the lowest ratio of officers to enlisted and the smallest officer Corps. I think only 70% of eligible Marines were selected for Captain, 65% for Major, 60% for LtCol and something like 45% for Col. Selection to General Officer is ridiculously low. Any negative discriminator like a DUI or even a low fitness report will drop you out of the running.

@Teufel -

Thanks for the detailed response sir. I had written a lengthy reply, but in the end it does not matter. She's damaged goods now and you are both Marine Corps officers so I am going to stop asking you questions specific to her situation.

In this Lance Corporal's opinion, (LOL) if she had fallen on her Mameluke Sword the morning she was released from jail, the Lt. Colonel would be an anonymous blip in the Marine Corps Times and not the topic of conversation on various military boards/blogs.

Integrity goes a long way.

@Teufel -

Thanks for the detailed response sir. I had written a lengthy reply, but in the end it does not matter. She's damaged goods now and you are both Marine Corps officers so I am going to stop asking you questions specific to her situation.

In this Lance Corporal's opinion, (LOL) if she had fallen on her Mameluke Sword the morning she was released from jail, the Lt. Colonel would be an anonymous blip in the Marine Corps Times and not the topic of conversation on various military boards/blogs.

Integrity goes a long way.
She still would have hit the blotter. Its hard to keep that stuff under wraps.

It's confirmed. She beat her wife and didn't tell her chain of command about being arrested.

I don't think we would be very sympathetic to a male officer who did the same. She was on track to be a General Officer. Not anymore.

Such a pitty. People do stupid shit all the time, and it just goes to show you that even the best fuck up sometimes.

Back