Meeting a Green Beret (Does Anyone Know Him?)

J.S.

Unverified
I attended wrestling state finals last year with my team, and during a break in the matches I noticed a man wearing a “CJTF - DJIBOUTI” shirt. He was there to watch his son compete and was more than happy to talk to me. His name is Mike (he told me his last name, I just can't seem to remember it), and he's a Major with a Civil Affairs unit stationed out of San Antonio. Before transitioning to the Reserves, Mike was a Captain and ODA Team Leader with 5th SFG, serving multiple tours in both Iraq and Afghanistan. Fluent in German and Spanish, he wore a khaki “De Oppresso Liber” ballcap, with “We Do Bad Things to Bad People” embroidered above the back strap. He had enlisted in the '90s as a grunt, serving in Kosovo and later going to Texas A&M on the "Green-to-Gold" program. Mike earned his commission following college and soon after moved up to SF as an 18A. He talked about his job in a matter-of-fact way and gave me the rundown of SF training, as well as a couple funny stories from his time overseas. At the end of our conversation, Mike said "You'd make a good Green Beret." He then handed me a 5 Don note from his Robin Sage exercise for me to keep as a souvenir. Honestly, that compliment really sticks with me. To have someone who’s been there and done that tell me I’d be a good fit in the SF community is a huge boost. That conversation is one of the big factors in my decision to join SF and really just a great experience.

If anyone knows Mike’s full name or any contact info, please PM me. He’s a shorter, half-Hispanic man fluent in German and Spanish. Currently a Civil Affairs Major in San Antonio, formerly an 18A with 5th SFG.

Back