Metal Detecting WWII Battlegrounds - Youtube Channel

They're going to find ordnance in the ground like that for well over a hundred years. Honestly, they’re never going to find all of the UXO and dunnage that’s out there.

Finding the AT mine and the German rocket was pretty damn cool. I geeked out a little at seeing them handle that mine. Yeah, it’s trigger weight was set for over 220lb at the minimum, but I don’t know the condition of the insides. After 75 years in the dirt, are there any components in the explosive train that are suffering from fatigue? Who’s to say that the dirt they brushed away wasn’t the only thing that saved their asses? I’m INTIMATELY familiar with what happens when your guardian hardpack gets crumbled up on emplaced ordnance.

Not gonna lie, I checked the length of the video to see if I should expect an abrupt ending at the two minute mark. They were much smarter about things when they found that rocket. That’s probably because they thought the mine was a canteen at first.

I agree with you on all points. Giving the coordinates to the proper authorities is the smart thing to do.

I watched another yesterday where they cleaned the dirt from a tellermine's detonator/ pressure plate...all to confirm if it was armed or not (apparently there's a window that displays the status).

And handling those?

The mines had an anti-handling device on them.

They also dug up about 6-8 rifle grenades and live Mills bombs. Stacked them up and reported them to the authorities. Yeah, nah. Hard pass.

I watched another yesterday where they cleaned the dirt from a tellermine's detonator/ pressure plate...all to confirm if it was armed or not (apparently there's a window that displays the status).

And handling those?

The mines had an anti-handling device on them.

They also dug up about 6-8 rifle grenades and live Mills bombs. Stacked them up and reported them to the authorities. Yeah, nah. Hard pass.

I only watched that one video you posted. I’d hoped it was a one-off with the mine. That’s why I haven’t hit the Powerball yet. /sarc

I’d hoped it was a one-off with the mine.

I've watched 7 or 8 of them now including those from similar channels. They think nothing of handling mines, rifle grenades, grenades, mortars, even a panzerschreck round or two. The really interesting ones go "magnet fishing" and have zero clue of what they are pulling up until the object breaks the surface of the lake/ pond.
1. The finds are amazing and really cool.
2. I don't know how someone else isn't raising their kids, you know?

Back