Missing helicopter with 5 Marines on board prompts search

Ooh-Rah

Semper-Fi
The all too frequent Marine/Helicopter story. F’ing hate this shit, it always seems so damn preventable .

Missing helicopter with 5 Marines on board prompts search — Fox News

First responders have launched a search mission after a U.S. military helicopter carrying five U.S. Marines went missing on a flight from Nevada to California on Tuesday.

"The U.S. Marine Corps is searching for five U.S. Marines assigned to Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron 361, Marine Aircraft Group 16, 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing," Marine Corps Air Station Miramar confirmed to Fox News. "The Marines were flying a CH-53E Super Stallion helicopter from Creech Air Force Base to Marine Corps Air Station Miramar on Feb. 6, 2024, when the aircraft was reported overdue.

It looks like it was north of I-8 in/around Cuyamaca Ranch State Park. That area has been hammered with horrible weather lately--flooding rains and high wind, so don't know if that had an impact. That area has some pretty rugged terrain, too.

This shit pisses me off, Army, Marines, anybody. Doubt they were flying through shitty weather and visibility in a chopper, I could be wrong on that. No air during bad weather right?

Aren't these issues usually maintenance related or am I way off?

Hope these guys/gals are found safe.

Since I’ve yet to see a story that spells this out … when they say “searching for the Marines” are they saying that even though they’ve ‘found’ the chopper, rescuers have not yet been able to actually reach it and confirm the status of the crew?

Since I’ve yet to see a story that spells this out … when they say “searching for the Marines” are they saying that even though they’ve ‘found’ the chopper, rescuers have not yet been able to actually reach it and confirm the status of the crew?

That's why I worded my last post the way I did. Not a lot of details.

Back