MSO Movie

Il Duce

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
SSMP
Military Mentor
For those of you interested in Military Source Operations (MSO) I highly recommend the movie 'The Green Prince' available streaming on Netflix. It tells the story of a high-level Hamas leader's son who worked as a source for Shin Bet (Israeli domestic intelligence service) for a decade or more.

The story is told from the perspective of the source and his handler (who left or was fired from Shin Bet) - so I would not necessarily take it as a factual recounting of history in every respect. It struck me as very credible when watching - but getting only one side of any story is always dangerous.

However, the movie does a great job of going into the psychology and tactics of source spotting, assessing, and especially recruiting. Also, really interesting example of running a source, integrating a source into HUMINT-triggered targeting, increasing a source's placement and access through tailored operations, transitioning source handlers, and terminating a source (the last two done poorly).

Really fascinating stuff and a master class for anyone interested in becoming a 35M or 35L in the Army, MAGTF CI for the USMC, and/or working MSO for a national level agency.

Florida173

SOF Support
Think I had heard of it. I'll take a look at it this week sometime.
I can't really think of any movie that does a good job of what it's like being a handler... probably because of how much time would be devoted to writing reports.. ugh.. don't miss those days. 1-2 hour meet with one of my sources always turned into 4-5 hours of writing IIRs...

Il Duce

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
SSMP
Military Mentor
It's an interview-based 'documentary' - so definitely not focused on the report-writing side of things. Much more operational employment - but still interesting I think, especially for newbies to the arena.

Florida173

SOF Support
Maybe we need a hyperbole-based movie like hurt locker for my former job... May even get an academy award!

Maybe Body of Lies fits that though

Il Duce

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
SSMP
Military Mentor
Yeah, those were both off-the-charts terrible. I cannot believe the accolades the Hurt Locker has received - I've got a whole other thread's worth of hate for that movie.

chaarsadobeest

Verified Military
I’m (years) late to the party here, but finally watched this. I will definitely be recommending it to others.