National Guard SOF

I kept rank going from AD Marines to ANG after a 7-year break and picked up another pay grade within a year. Keep us updated and good luck.

Just adding in, a lot of the Psyop and CA jobs in the USAR are NOT SOF support or anything of the like. USACAPOC has the command and other than a handful of units which actually do support the SOF mission, most Reserve Psyop/CA aren’t doing that job.

Just adding in, a lot of the Psyop and CA jobs in the USAR are NOT SOF support or anything of the like. USACAPOC has the command and other than a handful of units which actually do support the SOF mission, most Reserve Psyop/CA aren’t doing that job.

That's interesting, I know back in the day, 15 years ago or so, they were considered SOF. When did that change happen?

I’ve been in my unit for 3 years or so, so at the very least that long. A few of the guys that have been with the unit for a while say that after their last tour in 11(I believe) it switched from USASOC to USACAPOC and hasn’t been the same since.

I’ve been in my unit for 3 years or so, so at the very least that long. A few of the guys that have been with the unit for a while say that after their last tour in 11(I believe) it switched from USASOC to USACAPOC and hasn’t been the same since.
Is there a way to identify which units are supporting the SOF mission? My buddy just joined a PSYOP unit in Whitehall Ohio, and he said they support the UW mission.

Part of me says he's talking out of his ass, and hyping up his job ahaha

Is there a way to identify which units are supporting the SOF mission? My buddy just joined a PSYOP unit in Whitehall Ohio, and he said they support the UW mission.

Part of me says he's talking out of his ass, and hyping up his job ahaha
Not sure how the site operates as far as specific unit info like that, but I can shoot you a PM about that unit. I know the unit and some people in it. Pretty sure your buddy is hyping up his job.

Not sure how the site operates as far as specific unit info like that, but I can shoot you a PM about that unit. I know the unit and some people in it. Pretty sure your buddy is hyping up his job.
Yea, shoot me a PM.
He doesn't use social media, and I'm working overseas so I can't ask him for more info. I'd love to give him a little shit when I get back though :ROFLMAO:

always thought the re-alignment of reserve PSYOP was a bad idea, our unit was on jump status and kept to SOF standards, first company to deploy in OEF attached to SOF in 2002, 4th POG tried to steal our mission....but it didn't happen.

I know that I am a little late to the party but I thought as a "plank holder" of the regiment it may be useful for the rest of you to know the follo0wing information as I remember it.
In 1998 when they began standing up the Psychological Operations Regiment, all of the United States Army Civil Affairs Psychological Operations Command (USACAPOC) was a subordinate command of United States Army Special Operations Command (USASOC) At that time all 37F were members of the United States Army Special Operations Forces family. (If I remember correctly the officers had a skill designator but not a branch like they do now. Don't ask me what it was. You would have to ask a 37A that was around back then) Everyone that was a part of the Psyop Regiment was held to the same standards as other SOF units. Part of the training for PSYOP was in knowing what your fellow SOF were capable of and how you could facilitate their mission or how they could support yours. This worked very well for some time. Unfortunately a variety of factors would later come to change things for the Regiment and would split and shift USACAPOC from being aligned solely with USASOC.
My memory is a little fuzzy so bear with me I think it was about 2004 or 2005 that USARC started grumbling that they wanted the Reserve portion of the regiment under United States Army Reserve Command and in May or July of 2006 they got their way...of sorts. I remember and found part of the announcements "USASOC will retain proponency for civil affairs and psychological operations -- including doctrine, combat development and institutional training. Additionally, the 95th Civil Affairs Brigade (Provisional) and the 4th Psychological Operations Group, which were part of USACAPOC, will remain assigned to USASOC." - official Soc.mil release
(In my opinion that ranked right up there with changing PSYOP to MISO and taking the black beret from the 75th Rangers so that the rest of the Army could "feel special" about being a Soldier.... JUST plain Dumb doesn't even come close to my thoughts on those decisions)
So what does that mean to the rest of this discussion? When the regiment was first stood up PSYOP did support UW.( at least that was what they were teaching at the schoolhouse and notice I said Support) Hence the Grey and Black colors in our shield. However, it is my understanding that only under specific circumstances and under direct orders from the President is PSYOP allowed to conduct those operations now.
I left the USACAPOC in 2014 so anything is possible now.

Mod Edit -
This member has submitted Vetting paperwork and his application is currently under review.
Ooh-Rah

Last edited by a moderator:
Back