Navy Reserve issues...

Devildoc

Verified Military
This article summarizes a bunch of issues of manpower management in the Navy Reserve. Because of my rating (HM = corpsman) and my Navy Officer Basic Code when I was commissioned I was immune to some of it, but not all: HMs with experience with FMF were assigned to Seabee units, FMF HMs were assigned to the hospital unit, etc. In the mid-90s they said they were going to make all this better :rolleyes:….

Challenges in the Navy Reserve System | RealClearDefense

Are Seabee's even still a thing? Unlike the SEAL's, they've got that Silent Professional thing down cold!

They are probably one of the most used and most deployed Navy unit. The reservists get very cool ATs and assignments. And some of the coolest guys in uniform.

We were at CAX one year, I found out a buddy of mine from field med school was there with a SeaBee unit. I hitch some rides and find his unit. Mind you, it's August in 29 Palms Stumps, 120, just nasty. I get to his unit, the GPs have wood flooring, AC, fridge with iced water and beer....he was chilling. Literally. He's running his medical out of an air conditioned GPM. Me, I lost 10 pounds in water weight just from sweat.

Had I not gotten orders to FMF, I would have loved to have gone with the SeaBees.

Back