Obama shields Hezbollah to protect Iran deal

I'm definitely no "cheerleader" of Obama, but I have been waiting for a US based media outlet to run with it before I get too wrapped around the axle on it.

This is an interesting subject and worth looking into. That said, my experience has been that anytime someone working on a piece of a major project doesn't get the outcome they are looking for, they get a little upset. Sometimes the very satisfying tactical or operational-level efforts (e.g. prosecutions) have to be put on hold for more significant, long-term strategic lines of operations. At the end of the day, this decision was the administration's to make. Unless convincing evidence surfaces to the contrary, I'm willing to accept that the Obama Administration's conduct with regard to Hezbollah was done in the context of more complete information than we now have or the Project Cassandra folks possessed, and that it was a good-faith effort. That's hard for me to say because I deeply dislike Hezbollah and would like to crush them utterly, but like I said, sometimes the satisfaction has to wait.

I read this and really enjoyed it - going in with the caveats @Marauder06 laid out so well. With a piece like this the access you're getting comes with a clear perspective. That's different from it being 'fake' or untrue - you're just getting folks in the trenches telling you how the generals should have called the shots. Doesn't mean they're wrong, but it's the sort of thing I think you have to wait for a really good book years later to get the full context.

Still, with what we know from this article and the rest of what's out there I think it's more than fair to say the Obama administration sacrificed a lot of other efforts in order to get the Iran deal. I think the Iran deal aligns with some very good - but also very risky - strategic thought on the trajectory of US/world relations with Iran. Like all strategic risks it's not just a question of the choice - but also the execution. As an example the Iraq war is still viewed by some as a worthwhile strategic gambit - with terrible results due to execution, not concept. I think the Iran deal (JCPOA) will be interesting to see over time in the same manner.

What I also thought about when I read this piece was another DEA-related piece I saw recently about how a field office made a huge case for prosecuting a pharmaceutical giant on their actions in the opioid epidemic - then the justice department let the company off with a minor fine. The articles are probably totally unrelated but seeing them within a week of each other made me think 'somebody(s) in the DEA is/are shopping some book deals or something. Again, the information is very credible and I think we can take it as true - just not sure if the full context is something we're getting or is possible to see from what's provided.

Gotta be pretty frustrating if you're working in the DEA, really starting to make inroads against Hezbollah and then your whole operation just gets a roadblock put in front of it.

Also, Hezbollah are absolute geebags.

If true, this is Reagan-Eque via Iran-Contra episode. Any defense of this is pathetic. The more that comes out about the Iran Deal, the more you should despise the previous CinC.

Back