Obstacles on the Drop Zone... numerous!

Cyberchp

Special Forces
Verified SOF
I used to hate when they told us that...

Hope these guys are ok.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/21/us/wa...ories+(RSS:+Top+Stories)&utm_content=My+Yahoo
(CNN) -- They are widely considered among the top in the U.S. military.
But for three Army Rangers who got stuck in trees while parachuting Thursday afternoon in Washington state, their only aim was to get down.​
The members of the 75th Ranger Regiment -- a U.S. special operations force -- were training at Joint Base Lewis-McChord when they jumped from a plane and got entangled in towering evergreen trees that canvass the sprawling military installation between Tacoma and Olympia.​
Video from CNN affiliate KOMO showed rescue workers climbing the trees to reach the stranded soldiers.​
They were ultimately brought down safely and with only minor injuries, said base spokesman Lt. Col. Gary Dangerfield.​
"(The soldiers had) a couple of bumps and bruises," Dangerfield said.​
Dangerfield noted that this was the second time in the past year alone that parachutists have gotten hung up in tall trees around the base.​
The Rangers were training on the West Coast facility, nearly 3,000 miles from the regiment's home base in Fort Benning, Georgia. According to the regiment's website, its members make up "the Army's premier raid force" and they are "always combat ready."

I am wondering what happened, did they jump too early or too late, or was the plane on the wrong heading? Or was it high winds that caused too much drift? I would be curious to know the details.

lol. Seen all of the above personally.

Red light late so people dropped late
Green light a mile early putting Bco 3/75 in a secured ASP, on an active highway, and in a treeline that made georgia trees look like toothpicks.
Center-line drop not countering for wind
Off-center drop when there was no wind
Retarded wind just making a bad day under canopy worse...

I've had a tree landing myself, I was lucky as fuck that it was the ass end of fryar and the tree my canopy hung up on was just the right height and strength that it flexed when I landed, setting me down on my feet nicely in the best landing I ever had in my 64 jumps.

Shit was hilarious too, when I did a double canopy release activation and it did the classic Wiley Coyote snare DOOOINNNNNG.

engineer tape, azimuth, engineer tape with back azimuth and tell the DZ party dudes I ran into on the way to the rally point that they'd need a chainsaw for my chute.

People land in trees all the time. It's why you do pre-jump. Why was this news?

"In other news a private in the 82nd did something terrible today...."

Back