One More Sign the World is Doomed

AWP

SOF Support
Over cooking. Cultural appropriation over FOOD.

Respect the paella: Rob Schneider’s culinary debacle was just the latest insult to this great Spanish dish

On Christmas Eve, while everyone was enjoying some unnecessarily gigantic meal, former “Saturday Night Live” star Rob Schneider attempted to make paella at home.

Massive raw lobster tails aside, Spaniards were reacting to what they felt was cultural appropriation of their cuisine.

GTFO

Just a few months ago, the famous chef Jamie Oliver failed the paella test again when he proposed a recipe that not only was again not made in the proper pan, but it also added something no Spaniard has ever seen in paella: chorizo.

Hey, dickfucks, Cubans put chorizo in their paella...so now what?

And we close with:

Krishnendu Ray, a New York University professor of food studies, argues in “The Ethnic Restaurateur” that white chefs have more freedom to play with other people’s food than chefs of color do, which creates an inherent inequality in the field. To that, I would add that in a world where most people turn to the Internet to find recipes — and English is the de facto lingua franca of the online world — English-speaking chefs not only have more freedom to play around, but they also have the power to ultimately transform traditional dishes from other countries, without so much as an acknowledgement.

So please, please, Mr. Schneider, at the very least — use a paella pan next time.

Fuck it, I want the meteor now. 2017: Year of the Meteor

Krishnendu Ray, a New York University professor of food studies, argues in “The Ethnic Restaurateur” that white chefs have more freedom to play with other people’s food than chefs of color do, which creates an inherent inequality in the field. To that, I would add that in a world where most people turn to the Internet to find recipes — and English is the de facto lingua franca of the online world — English-speaking chefs not only have more freedom to play around, but they also have the power to ultimately transform traditional dishes from other countries, without so much as an acknowledgement.

So please, please, Mr. Schneider, at the very least — use a paella pan next time.

Paella means pan....therefore it is hard not to use a paella pan...:thumbsup:

He might be a Professor of food, not quite sure what that means....however a quick mr google box on the computer machine says he has a PHD in Political.......and I stopped there.:wall:

Do it right or don't do it at all. You guys would be upset if they messed up a deep fried turkey or something.

I do loathe the term cultural appropriation, though. It's such a crock of rubbish term.

Back