Operation Market Garden

It was a beautiful plan. Elegant. Three Airborne divisions up the corridor and an armored spear right up the middle. Just the logistics alone make my head swim. This was the Monty that wasn't always there. If only...if only.

Frost at the bridge never had a chance.

But what a beautiful plan.

Odd, too, that even after this the high command continued to underestimate German strength and capabilities...thus the Bulge a few months later.

Last edited:
It was a beautiful plan. Elegant. Three Airborne divisions up the corridor and an armored spear right up the middle. Just the logistics alone make my head swim. This was the Monty that wasn't always there. If only...if only.

Frost at the bridge never had a chance.

But what a beautiful plan.

Odd, too, that even after this the high command continued to underestimate German strength and capabilities...thus the Bulge a few months later.
Never underestimate the other guys will to fight.
Poles were decimated by this, and (for me) another reason why I am not a fan of Montgomery.

Montgomery. A legend in his own mind.

My uncle was a paratrooper with the 101st during world War II, made every jump with them. He had nothing nice to say about Market Garden. It was a gallant effort would a half-assed plan, but it was audacious. If it was going to work it would be a stellar success, and if not, an epic failure.

Montgomery. A legend in his own mind.

My uncle was a paratrooper with the 101st during world War II, made every jump with them. He had nothing nice to say about Market Garden. It was a gallant effort would a half-assed plan, but it was audacious. If it was going to work it would be a stellar success, and if not, an epic failure.

I'd have to disagree that it was a half-assed plan. It was audacious, yes, but it was also a beautiful conception. If German resistance had been as light as they assumed it was going to be around the lower bridges and along the dike roads, it would've worked. Even if Frost failed to get a bridgehead across the Rhine, the timely arrival of Horrocks XXX Corps would've turned the tide.

Last edited:
I'd have to disagree that it was a half-assed plan. It was audacious, yes, but it was also a beautiful conception. If German resistance had been as light as they assumed it was going to be around the lower bridges and along the dike roads, it would've worked. Even if Frost failed to get a bridgehead across the Rhine, the timely arrival of Horrocks XXX Corps would've turned the tide.

Some historians claim it was "doomed from the start" (quoted because not my words) because of faulty intelligence, poor planning, and a lack of understanding the terrain. It was going to go one of two ways: brilliant success that shortened the war, or disastrous failure than lengthened the war. Aside from Overlord probably the biggest en masse gamble.

Back