.Reserve/Recon questions

Tyler225

Unverified
Thank you for taking time to read this.

I’m in the process of enlisting into the Reserves to become a Recon Marine. I am prior service (USAF) and understand the differences and the change that I’ll be going through. I’m very aware of the physical and mental rigors that will take place during the journey. I’m wanting to simply keep honest people honest and have a few questions for you all.

1. I was told the minimum enlistment length for the Reserves would be 6 years with 2 in the IRR. I have seen a few things saying there is (possibly was?) an enlistment of 4 years with 4 in the IRR. Any input?

2. Rather surprised there is no enlistment bonus for Recon. It goes without saying that I’m not doing this for the money but that through me off a bit.

3. Lastly, I was told a recruit going the Recon path won’t know whether or not they are going to SOI or MCT until the end of boot. Seems sort of off to me. As an outsider looking in, I would imagine SOI would be much more beneficial for a guy wanting to go Recon.

I truly appreciate any feedback you may have.

Tyler

Not Military, but every Marine goes to SOI. SOI is both MCT and ITB, 03 goes to ITB, everything else, MCT. If you drop from Recon for any reasons you will meet the needs of the Marine Corps. I have heard that Marines at ITB get a chance to volunteer for Recon, so that may be your best is get an Infantry Contract then volunteer. Not a Marine, so I will leave this thread to the Marines who can answer your questions. Best of luck.

@Bambi

Members who ask questions here deserve to have their questions answered by vetted members of the forum who have direct experience relating to the question and the answer. Since you do not qualify in any of the categories, please refrain from answering questions of military related topics.

Thank you for taking time to read this.

I’m in the process of enlisting into the Reserves to become a Recon Marine. I am prior service (USAF) and understand the differences and the change that I’ll be going through. I’m very aware of the physical and mental rigors that will take place during the journey. I’m wanting to simply keep honest people honest and have a few questions for you all.

1. I was told the minimum enlistment length for the Reserves would be 6 years with 2 in the IRR. I have seen a few things saying there is (possibly was?) an enlistment of 4 years with 4 in the IRR. Any input?

2. Rather surprised there is no enlistment bonus for Recon. It goes without saying that I’m not doing this for the money but that through me off a bit.

3. Lastly, I was told a recruit going the Recon path won’t know whether or not they are going to SOI or MCT until the end of boot. Seems sort of off to me. As an outsider looking in, I would imagine SOI would be much more beneficial for a guy wanting to go Recon.

I truly appreciate any feedback you may have.

Tyler

I never heard of 4 Reserve and 4 IRR. As far as I know, it's been 6 and 2 for years and still is. And why would you expect to get an enlistment bonus for an MOS with a high attrition rate?

Last edited:
It’s 4 and 4 for Active, Reserves are 6x2 and if you’re going Recon you’re going to ITB last thing we got passed was Recon is no longer accepting guys from MCT and we had to stop telling applicants they would get the chance to volunteer without being an 03xx contract starting around last year.

If you sign a Recon contract then you will go through MCT. If not your best bet is to get any infantry contract and volunteer at ITB but I would try and get your recruiter to search your area or even your state for a Recon contract. Have you looked into which Recon unit is closest to you or which one you would like to go to?

@Outdoorsman thank you. I am getting a Recon contract. I live in Central IL with the goal to join E co, 4th Recon. I didn’t start this thread to prove my recruiter a liar or not..just triple double checking before I start the journey. It is interesting there is differences in opinions on what SOI recruits will go to.

If you sign a Recon contract then you will go through MCT. If not your best bet is to get any infantry contract and volunteer at ITB but I would try and get your recruiter to search your area or even your state for a Recon contract. Have you looked into which Recon unit is closest to you or which one you would like to go to?
At SOI currently on a Recon contract and that information is not accurate. All Recon contracts attend ITB. You attend ITB up until the split and then you attend MART until a BRPC class picks up.

Back