Russian Arctic military exercise draws awe and concern

RackMaster

Nasty-Dirty-Canuck
SOF Support
Well this doesn't surprise me with the Arctic build up in recent year's. But with the current government and their crazy daily spending during the pandemic, I don't expect any new investment in the Canadian military as a counter.

The paratroopers jumped from an Ilyushin Il-76 transport aircraft from a height of 10,000 metres (30,000 feet) and were, according to the Russian Defence Ministry and media reports, testing new equipment developed for extreme cold weather operations.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/russian-arctic-training-1.5563691?__vfz=medium=sharebar

There is a 2012 article on that topic from a Geo historian and former sf guy, if anyone is interested in a short summary of legal aspects of the Arctic disputes, and Russia's position on it specificaly. Not up to date with more recent developments obivously, but nonetheless insightful and still applicable.

Disputes in the Arctic: Threats and Opportunities

Last edited:
That's an in depth military analysis, and a really good one. But it barely touches any of the legal / economic aspects, at least summarized, which is why I thought it might be interesting for anyone who cares for that part.

Great article though.

Russia doesn't care about the legal aspects and of course financial is a reason, they're after the resources.

Russia doesn't care about the legal aspects and of course financial is a reason, they're after the resources.
As the price of oil remains low and alternative sources are developed, there has to be some discussion on the ROI of their endeavors, particularly long term.

Back