SF hopeful

Firemedic#21

Unverified
Hey everyone,

Thank you to anyone and everyone who posts mentor advice on here, I've found great encouragement and knowledge from reading everything the mentors post. I'm currently a Firefighter Paramedic, have been for 6 years now. My desire is to become an 18D one day. I have been talking with a recruiter for some time now, and hopefully (contract availability pending) will sign at the end of this year or beginning of next.

Being SOF has been something I've wanted to do since early high school. I've tried the civilian side of public service, and while it has taught me a great amount of skills and maturity, I have still always had an SOF career path nagging at me in the back of my head, knowing that's what I've always wanted to do. Despite coming from a military family my whole life, I haven't ever really had a ton of support for the SOF route.

I would have to say my motivation is that of operating in a team full of individuals that you know have put in just as much time and effort into their job, as you have yours. You don't luck into a green beret spot. I understand all SOF team members must be as intelligent as they are physically inclined, but the mental aspect of the job attracts me almost more than the physical aspect.

I do love my country, and being able to serve it in such a high capacity would be an honor, but I would be lying if I said that was my main driving force. My love for helping people, the job description (which I will not pretend I know fully, and probably won't unless I make it), and the kind of individuals I would get to work side by side with, would have to be what I would call my main motivators.

I've had the pleasure of meeting some SOF guys in my life, and the greatest aspect that I loved about them, was that I never knew it. They never told me. Someone else did. They didn't do it for any reason outside of they loved it, and the guys next to them. I can't describe how much that appeals to me, in world full of kids screaming for attention.

I understand Injuries happen, spots aren't available, and sometimes regardless your love and desire you just aren't the guy, but I'm going to throw everything I've got at it! I don't plan on asking many questions, close to every question imaginable has already been asked on here I think, and reading the replies of those who have been there done that is most helpful.

I'm currently just building my physical base, trying to prepare my body for the hell of the next 2, 3, 4 years (more if I'm selected), and working on a backup plan. I apologize for long winded write up. Thanks to all in advanced for the encouragement and knowledge.

Back