Sniper Attacks IDF Colonel; Order From Top Lebanese Brass

JBS

Leatherneck
Verified Military
http://www.smh.com.au/world/lebanese-commander-ordered-sniper-attack-20100805-11kqk.html
BEIRUT: Senior Lebanese army commanders planned and authorised the cross-border shooting on Tuesday that killed an Israel Defence Forces colonel who was supervising the removal of a tree within Israeli territory, the Lebanese press has reported.

The acknowledgement came at a United Nations-brokered meeting between Major-General Abdul Rahman Chehaitly of the Lebanese army and a senior Israeli officer on Wednesday.

The Lebanese newspaper As-Safir reported that General Chehaitly told the meeting the shooting was the result of a command decision and could be repeated.

"The soldiers received clear orders to open fire. The responsibility is that of the Israeli army which crossed the border," General Chehaitly said.

A senior diplomatic source, who spoke to the Herald on condition of anonymity, said preliminary investigations by UN personnel monitoring the border also indicated the Lebanese army planned the attack.

The source said the UN Interim Force in Lebanon advised Lebanese army commanders early on Tuesday morning that the Israelis would be removing a tree on their side of the border early in the afternoon.

Several hours before the Israelis moved in to begin that work, a senior Lebanese army unit arrived at the Lebanese village of al-Adeisa, which overlooks the site where the tree was to be removed, and took control of the area.

They were accompanied by several journalists linked to media outlets controlled by the radical Shiite movement Hezbollah
, which controls southern Lebanon, the source said.

The Jews will whack several Sr Lebanese Generals/Poiliticians over the next few months. I think I'd refrain from buying/using my phone if I was a Sr Officer in the Lebanese Army.

Israel must have some crazy equation for one of theirs vs. when of theirs, like one IDF colonel = 100 Lebanese Generals or some shit... I agree with SOWT, some people are going to get killed in their sleep over this...

This reminds me of the US/North Korea tree cutting incident, in which 2 US officers were killed.

Except the Israelis will probably do something about it...

They are trying to goad the IDF into a response. They definatly need to do something like taking out their top commander and several of the ones under him. Leave an LT to run the JCS...

They are trying to goad the IDF into a response. They definatly need to do something like taking out their top commander and several of the ones under him. Leave an LT to run the JCS...

Wonder what the plitical motive is; I can't imagine walking up to a prize fighter, kicking him in the shins and dareing him to beat my ass. That's what happens when you goad Israel, unless they think the admin is sufficiently neutral/anti-jew that they can get away with it?

We did retaliate and that skirmish is over. However, up until that moment, we regarded the Lebanese Army as being a supporter of the status quo on the border but now, until they prove otherwise, they are put into a category of "hostile" forces meaning we will react to any threat much harsher than in the past.

H

We did retaliate and that skirmish is over. However, up until that moment, we regarded the Lebanese Army as being a supporter of the status quo on the border but now, until they prove otherwise, they are put into a category of "hostile" forces meaning we will react to any threat much harsher than in the past.

H

Good.

H

Like I was saying, start at the top of the Military, before it's over the only person left to run the Military is an LT.....or maybe a few privates. Get em hoepoe and make em pay.

H

And you all did it again yesterday!!!

Good, keep it up!!
Mak'em like it

At the risk of being flippant.....eveyone works for a Captain.......the company commander is the one in charge, at no matter level you sit. Trust me on this.

Update from the press so not confirmed, but interesting nonetheless.

"'IDF can destroy Lebanon army within 4 hours'

Lebanese paper says US envoy's advisor threatened Lebanese army chief with Israeli contingency plan following deadly border skirmish

Roee Nahmias
Published: 08.27.10, 14:42 / Israel News

An senior advisor to US special envoy to the Middle East George Mitchell has threatened Lebanese army commander, Jean Kahwajim that should his army initiate additional fire exchanges with Israel, the IDF would annihilate his military within four hours, Lebanese newspaper al-Liwa reported Friday.

According to the report, Frederick Hof spoke to Kahwaji on August 9, following the deadly border skirmish between Israel and Lebanon and informed him of the IDF contingency plan.

The report further quotes Mitchell's aide as telling the Lebanese commander that Israel had decided to carry out a plan "which would completely destroy the Lebanese army's bases, centers and offices within four hours."

Lieutenant-Colonel (res.) Dov Harari was killed in the border skirmish earlier this month and another officer was seriously injured. Firing began when IDF forces entered a border enclave in order to uproot a tree. Lebanon later blamed Israel for violating UN Resolution 1701.

Hof advised the Lebanese army chief to show restraint in any future border conflict with Israel.

US sources said a UNIFIL report which ruled that the tree was on Israel's side of the border sheds new light on the possible danger caused by the proximity between the Lebanese army and Hezbollah."

Back