Some say the problem isn’t the rifle, it’s the snipers....

I wonder if the Marine Corps uses retired Snipers as primary instructors in it's precision shooting courses, and if not, would this alleviate the problem?

If you are talking about PMI's, this billet is filled by NCO's, and if I am not mistaken even an occasional LCpl, under certain circumstances. Just the same, this is for Marine Corps basic rifle skills training, not "precision" shooting, per se; routine range qualification and ongoing training in the grunts. I don't think the Corps is lacking in its basic marksmanship, as this the very heart and soul of the Corps. We have "expert" qualified riflemen that cook, and drive trucks, and splice wires, and talk on phones, and can make head-shots at 500 yards with iron sights.

As for "precision" courses, I have no idea what the practice is for SS School. Some of the Snipers here can address that if they choose.

While I agree that more training is needed I also agree that a more powerful round is needed. The 175gr .308 is good to go from 0-800, and you can strech it out to a little over a grand, but at that point your basicaly lobbing rounds domn range. With this higher angle you've got longer flight time and more time for the round to be effected.

If we upped it to the .338, with it flater trajectory, not only would we increase our range but also improve accuracy at the "shorter" ranges. Not to mention the bigger more powerful round has more applications for anti material.

People who are not on the ground using the gear should not be making the decision on what gear we need. Ask the operator what he needs and get it for him, he's the expert in the fight so why second guess him. "We trust you to lead men behind enemy lines and perform a critical task, we just don't trust you to tell us what you need". Classic.

Real quick, on the training issue senior snipers have told their command and the Marine Corps what they need, and they are usualy ignored or told "that's nice this is what your getting".

Free floating .338, intergrated rail system, fully adjustable telescoping rear end, 2.5lbs pull on the trigger, internal 5 round top loading mag, Schmit and Bender 5X25 Horus vision retical on the first focal plane, harris bi pods and last but not least suppressed..................Anything and I mean ANYTHING less and the Marine Corp is fucking up.

The good Gunner is correct about training improvements, but not needing a bigger bolt gun................I would do Thunder Dome with the Gunner or any other Marine of any rank over this issue. It breaks my fucking heart that the Corps leadership can't or wont listen to the guys who are daily behind the scope risking their lives. No disrepect to the Gunner, he is a great Marine and spent a life time doing this job, but I sill disagree and passionatly so on this point.

Your mom has a fully adjustable telescoping rear end...:D

Tools without training RUST... period.

I do not care if the shooter gets a $20,000 rifle that shoots 1 MOA or he keeps his trusty bolt gun that shoots 1/2 MOA.... he has to have trigger time, or it is all for nothing.

I think the current inventory is adequate for the environment. I was just at the range today and the 5th SOTIC students are fully utilizing the M110 SASS. (KA finally fixed the majority of the broken triggers that were with this lot).... and they were SHOOTING. The instructors are a 70/30 split of active 18 series dudes and former SF snipers, and they are able to pass on the data that needs to be passed.

BUT, and this is a BIG BUT... you still cannot cure 'stupid'... had one of their students just yesterday get lost on a single point movement of 350 meters.... Shit you not.. he was lost for more than five hours.. all cadre and students doing grid searches.... and an instructor just decided to drive down the road 'that there is no way he made it that far'.. and there he was... sitting at an intersection more than 4 miles from the SP....

Cant cure stupid.. period AND train, train, train.. Those are my 2 solutions to the current problem

rant done

Back