Special Forces Worry About M110 Durability

I agree with the LWRC REPR and it probably would have saved the Army $2-3K per gun. I have used my FA several times since I first picked an M16 in 1980, dirty gun, dirty ammo, whatever the issue is, why not have it? You could eat of your gun before you leave on a mission in Iraq and plant seeds in it that would germinate by the time you were done with the same mission.

Special Forces are not the only ones concerned. My NG HBCT sniper section (about as "conventional forces" as it gets) dislike the damn things as well. Was the high fault rate of trigger mechanism mentioned in the article? F the M110.
Reed

FA issue came up first time I got my hands on one a few months ago. I've been using its little brother, an SR-25, as my primary in a DM role for the past month, and in that respect I've been happy with it. The lack of a FA doesn't matter as much in this role, but still I believe it's lacking without one. A few situations have warranted one. I do like that it's short enough to comfortably clear with. Using an Elcan for this purpose, and I switch back to the 3.5x to 10x once clearance is done. I also like the fact that the scope won't lose zero point; however, I'd like something smaller than 1 MOA adjustments for elevation. Maybe that should've been the 110's calling not as the replacement for the M24/M40. I see why it came to pass, but it could've been handled a lot better. Agree with the above. OBR/REPR in lieu of the M110 keeping in mind current .300 winmag platforms are better for a traditional sniper role.

I am not sure what was changed in the barrel between the M11/SR25 and the M110 but it is definitely not the same gun. I think in the rush to produce a rifle too meet all the needs of the Army in one gun with high production something changed. The barrels for sure are not the same, the low durability and low accuracy from a rifle with what is really still in what I would call the break in cycle is completely out of the industry norm for a rifle in this class. I use LW50 barrels I think Mark uses the same blank`s I do in the OBR. I get 4-5000 rounds out of them and even with throat erosion on the high end they maintain MOA or better. I have a report on one of the shop guns we did several years ago that I would loan out to different teams as a loaner to run field tests on it was tested to 1000M plus at Todd`s facility in Tx and it had one malfunction in 14 days of shooting and maintained sub MOA the whole time. The data book when signed out showed 4353 RDS on the gun. We were running an endurance test of no cleaning till failure since I expected the barrel throat to wash out anytime . It held up fine with no issues.I was suprised. Anyway the AR platform can suprise you sometimes.

Red

i never had any problems with the m110 wepon system shot it out to the grand and still holds good, however premier reticals opitic that we use on it is aweful iv had the retical no shit spin after taking a shot, just not a fan of premier after that.

i never had any problems with the m110 wepon system shot it out to the grand and still holds good, however premier reticals opitic that we use on it is aweful iv had the retical no shit spin after taking a shot, just not a fan of premier after that.

What did you try to say??????

Shooting the M110 at 1,000m? HA!!! How's the 2 MOA working for you? You're shooting a 20 inch group before you add any variables.

The M110 is a non-point now that we have SCAR-Heavies. The SCAR-H handles more like an assault rifle and shoots tighter, more like a sniper rifle, than an M110. I carry a SCAR-H with a bipod, a 15X H58 Nightforce, and a red dot mounted at a 45 degree offset- I can do more with it than I could ever do with an M110 and it's almost as good of an assault rifle as an M4.

Shooting the M110 at 1,000m? HA!!! How's the 2 MOA working for you? You're shooting a 20 inch group before you add any variables.

The M110 is a non-point now that we have SCAR-Heavies. The SCAR-H handles more like an assault rifle and shoots tighter, more like a sniper rifle, than an M110. I carry a SCAR-H with a bipod, a 15X H58 Nightforce, and a red dot mounted at a 45 degree offset- I can do more with it than I could ever do with an M110 and it's almost as good of an assault rifle as an M4.
I hit like, but really I hate you, since you get to not use the M110 and I still have to.
Reed

Back