Special Missions Aviation

agentyork765

Unverified
I hope this is the correct place for this thread. I just learned about this job last week and I've found it really interesting. Would anyone be able to answer some questions about it, specifically the pipeline? I've searched on Google but only got a rough idea of the training. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aircrew Fundamentals (Fundies) at Kelly, 6 weeks IIRC.

Things have changed, but Gunner and Flight Engineer use to be different tracks, after that it's off to Kirtland AFB for your specific airframe qualifications.

BTW-Have you looked at AF.com?

Aircrew Fundamentals (Fundies) at Kelly, 6 weeks IIRC.

Things have changed, but Gunner and Flight Engineer use to be different tracks, after that it's off to Kirtland AFB for your specific airframe qualifications.

BTW-Have you looked at AF.com?

Thanks for the info! I was looking for what each part of the pipeline consisted of and the reason for the high washout rate.

If anyone has any information about the chance a non prior enlisted would have for getting the Pavehawk or Osprey as their aircraft, that would be appreciated too.

If anyone has any information about the chance a non prior enlisted would have for getting the Pavehawk or Osprey as their aircraft, that would be appreciated too.

There's some discussion about this elsewhere on the board, but if memory serves it is needs of the Air Force. If they need a bunch of guys to ride in Hueys and service the missile silos, guess what you're doing?

Like this poor bastard:
First Airmen with no prior military experience tackle CEARF course > Kirtland Air Force Base > Article Display

Harrison, a former aerial gunner instructor on the AC-130U Spooky, has already been assigned to graduate level training on Hueys with follow-on orders to the 37th Helicopter Squadron at F.E. Warren Air Force Base, Wyoming.

You pay your money and you take your chances. Good luck.

There's some discussion about this elsewhere on the board, but if memory serves it is needs of the Air Force. If they need a bunch of guys to ride in Hueys and service the missile silos, guess what you're doing?

Like this poor bastard:
First Airmen with no prior military experience tackle CEARF course > Kirtland Air Force Base > Article Display

You pay your money and you take your chances. Good luck.

Thank you. Would you be able to point me in the direction of these posts? I've tried the search bar but haven't been able to find anything specific to the career field.

Thank you. Would you be able to point me in the direction of these posts? I've tried the search bar but haven't been able to find anything specific to the career field.

I know they are out there, but I don't recall. There's a thread where a current USAF airman is trying to crosstrain into SMA.

Got o Google and enter this into the search bar, sma site:shadowspear.com/vb . You'll have to wade through the results but something ahould be out there. I'd also try aviation in our search function and again wade through the results.

NPS guys have been going to the PaveHawk for a while now. The Osprey just opened up the pipeline to NPS guys. As a pilot, I'm not entirely read in on the exact lengths and details of the SMA pipeline. It will be basic, then tech school. Then our guys go to Fort Rucker, AL to fly with the SUPT-H students in the TH-1H for a basic flight orientation (pre-mission planning, checklists, systems, EPs, and scanning).

That said, just like pilot training, you do the best you can and put in your preference. Graduate as high in your class as possible. Luck and timing get the rest. If you don't get an H-60 or V-22 the first time around. Do a kick-ass job in your first platform and cross train as early as possible.

I know we expect more out of our Osprey SMAs then I've seen demanded of any other enlisted career field. Including when I flew the PaveHawk. TOLD, weight & balance, fuel planning, in-flight mission management, cabin NCO, aerial gunnery... the list goes on. We expect a high level of maturity and competence from even our junior enlisted aviators.

I’d love to know when this video was taken, my perception has always been that we only have a few Ospreys that work at any one time.

That was probably all of them, when they were first received and not they can get 2 flying at a time. lol

I don't think it matters the airframe, the downtime for maintenance is crazy.

Any updates on the weapon systems for the Osprey? I know they are kicking around forward mounted rockets and a possible belly turret. But, was more concerned about the lack of door gunner coverage on entering or exiting an LZ area.

Back