STO Question

ThatGinger

Unverified
First and foremost please forgive me for my ignorance on this subject and "long winded-ness", I'm known as a many of many words, for better or worse. My question is in regards to the path to becoming an STO.

I'm currently a Cav Scout (4/3 CAV Fort Hood, TX) about a year out of OSUT. Let me start by saying I am in no way ashamed of my MOS or choosing the Army above the they branches. I see the way the Army is changing, and perhaps this unit has ruined me with it's ineptitude, and I don't like it. I see too many good soldiers/NCO's get fucked by the "system" while NCO's that haven't passed weight and tape or a pt test for years stick around. Leaders with no leadership ability falling back on their deployment patches and CAB's to act however they please and abuse their power.

I want to stay in at some capacity, but not the way I am now. Call me arrogant, but I could've gone to college like all of my buddies but I chose to serve because I was/am an able bodied, competitive, patriotic 19 y/o who thought the military is where I needed to be. I've been considering the officer path because I think that's where I can do the most good. I've talked to a couple of my NCO's (most notably my mortar section Ssg) about my views on the Army and they say my head is in a good place to get into special operations at some level. They all say I can make it if I train hard and keep my positive mindset and I agree.

The nature of the Army special operations community commands my complete respect, but to be honest, I'm more interested in the skill-set and mission of the Air Force spec ops. Which leads me to my question, how do I go about becoming an STO? I want to get out when my contract is up and go to college full time in an ROTC program, at what point do I start to gravitate towards the STO training/ selection process?

I again apologize for my ignorance on the subject. I'm very familiar with the SF selection process as I'm in the Army (duh) and guys are always talking about going to/ actually going to selection. I just don't hear about the AF process.

If I were in your shoes I don't think I'd even contemplate any process until my junior year because I doubt there is anything you can do besides the obvious (PT, academics, leadership scores, etc.) until then. I don't think the Army worries about that until a Cadet's senior year in ROTC, At a minimum, the AF wouldn't care until you were at least a Junior.

If I were in your shoes I don't think I'd even contemplate any process until my junior year because I doubt there is anything you can do besides the obvious (PT, academics, leadership scores, etc.) until then. I don't think the Army worries about that until a Cadet's senior year in ROTC, At a minimum, the AF wouldn't care until you were at least a Junior.
Thank you for the advice, I know it's a ways off. I just like to have my cards in a row I guess. Just something I've been strongly considering.

Back