TACP/ question

hdmahnken

Unverified
Before my question I’ll just start by saying that I am not extremely new at researching the TACP career field. I just have one simple question about land navigation that has been coming up in my mind because I haven’t seen it directly asked and answered before. So it seems as if there are a good handful of washouts because of land navigation from what I’ve read here and everywhere else due to a number of factors. As an individual who has never had any land nav experience should I let the professionals at the schoolhouse give me the instruction I need? Or possibly try to teach myself a couple things before? I’m asking simply because I’m just curious about how much time (not specifics) you learn on all of that at the schoolhouse. Anyone can answer this. Personal opinions and experiences are definitely welcome.

Also so I don’t sound naive, trust me I know there is no way the instructor’s just toss you out there without any knowledge in land nav, but people still fail and washout. Like others I really don’t want to think about failing something like becoming a TACP.

MAYBE some didn’t dive in the books enough? Or got tangled up? Lost their favorite knife? Just a thought.

I know there are probably over 1,000 different things you need to focus on during the pipeline but from the 0utside looking in I just want to clear that little thing up and get some insight, maybe for some others who have thought about this also.

Hopefully this isn’t just another generic Q&A for you gentlemen.

Thanks.
C:\Users\SUUUWEE\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png
:thumbsup:

Land navigation training beforehand will help, but you will receive instruction and chances to practice before formal evaluation. Just keep in mind that the instructors will probably not allow all the techniques you learn in a civilian orienteering class. For example, you are not allowed to box around obstacles, you're expected to dead reckon (walk a straight line) to your points. Just another tool to increase stress because now they can force you through tough areas.

You can look for an orienteering club. Land navigation is something that some people aren't great at without practice, so learning how to do it is beneficial for any job in the military that involves walking around in the woods.

I appreciate your responses, as always they are very helpful and for me you hit the nail on the head. Thanks.

You might have to dead reckon, but 4 things will save you when you get in a pickle:

Hand rails, backstops, attack points and a running pace count!!!

:thumbsup::ninja:O_o

Thank you for your additional responses. And Red-Dot thank you for the heads up on night failures, that is a valuable peice of information to me and it provides some insight on what I should expect and what is expected of me at the schoolhouse. SpongeBob*24 I checked out the information you gave and I can see why those four things could help if anything goes wrong so I appreciate that advice because Im sure alot can go wrong fast.

:thumbsup::D

Back