Review Texas Rising by Stephen L. Moore

AWP

SOF Support
"The epic true story of the Lone Star Republic and the rise of the Texas Rangers, 1836-1846"

The History Channel made a series or movie or whatever based on this book. I may have to watch that because I couldn't finish the book. 309 of 380 or so pages and I tapped out. "I can't even..."

First, at least 2/3 of the first 300 pages were about the founding of Texas through about 1842. The parts about the Rangers (the reason I bought the book) were few and far between. When they did appear the passages read similar to "In October, John Smith rode to Sometown and recrutied 38 out of an authorized strength of 54. Jon Snow and Jason Voorhies were lieutenants and on the 15th the company moved towards Someothertown, camping for the night at the Jones' Ranch."

Uh..what? Yeah, that's how the book read. Bare bones details, dry, evn many of the battles were short on details and when they did cover a fight...still boring. San Jacinto was a whole chapter (understandable), the Alamo a little less (got it), and then sharp battles or skirmishes were like a Wikipedia entry.

So, maybe this is the book for you. It didn't hold my interest and felt like a college textbook at times or a really bad novel. Some of it was interesting, but that was about a 90-10 split of TX history over Ranger history.

I regret buying the book.

Thanks for the review! I have actually been eyeing this one for future reading. Saves me the trouble.

"RIP Ford's Texas" is another book a little heavy on the details regarding Texas and Texas Ranger History. It can be a hard read for some but I found it incredibly insightful pertaining to first hand accounts and the like. The book is primarily comprised of Texas Ranger John Salmon "RIP" Fords writings, secretarial documents for the Rangers and private journal entires.

AWP, there is a lot of insight into how the Rangers operated, and you might enjoy parts of the book.

https://www.amazon.com/Fords-Texas-Personal-Narratives-West/dp/0292770340

Another book with some interesting details about the outfitting and operational particulars of the Rangers is "Charles Goodnight: Cowman and Plainsman." He was a guide and scout for the Rangers in the mid and late 1800s.

Charles Goodnight: Cowman and Plainsman: Haley, J. Evetts: 9780806114538: Amazon.com: Books

Back