Review The Westies by T.J. English

AWP

SOF Support
If you're looking for a book about the Mob that doesn't focus on the Italians, this might be a good choice for you. The Westies chronicles the rise of fall of the Irish mob in Hell's Kitchen. Told primarily with the recollections of Mickey Featherstone, a one time #2 in the organization turned gov't informant, it is also well sourced overall. From "humble" beginnings to a meteoric fall, The Westies (coined by a reporter, not themselves) had the usual mob wars, intrigue, allies, betrayal, and oh-so-much violence found in larger, more established criminal organizations.

If you're looking for something different in the organized crime genre, this is worth your time and money.

Bad ass book I read during my time serving in school suspension in 9th grade. Couldn't beleive that book made it into the building after the first several pages. Gunning at dudes from rooftops, chopping dudes up in Manhattan apartments, robbing bars for cash when down on their luck. Holy shit.

Great story though, and well told. I still look that shit up once in a great while to see if there's anything I didn't learn.

Last month: Son of notorious Irish mobster Mickey Spillane busted for slugging dog-walker in same NYC neighborhood his dad ruled

Back