Tim Kennedy fighting UFC 206 12/10/16

benroliver

Justa68W
Verified Military
He got KOed and looked tired after about 2 years away from the cage. Of course he had/has other things going I'm sure being deployed and in the Guard too.

He got KOed and looked tired after about 2 years away from the cage. Of course he had/has other things going I'm sure being deployed and in the Guard too.

Ya man it was a tough fight. He looked huge to a point where it was probably detrimental. As he stated post fight, he did make some mistakes. He has never been the greatest striker but I felt like what hurt him the most was not not being able to control Gastelum on the ground. Tim is a higher level grappler than I am and even I caught a few mistakes. He definitely had some "ring rust".

Taking as many shots as he did also helped put a dent in that cardio.:( Hes tough as hell though man. Gastelum is pretty underrated, cant judge a book by its cover. He is pretty unprofessional when it comes to making weight but the kid has talent.

Tim is a higher level grappler than I am and even I caught a few mistakes. He definitely had some "ring rust".

Out of curiosity, what grappling mistakes did you see him make?

It'll be interesting to see what he decides to do next. A second fight with Bisping took a big step back after last night.

Out of curiosity, what grappling mistakes did you see him make?

It'll be interesting to see what he decides to do next. A second fight with Bisping took a big step back after last night.

So just as an example in the first round right at 4:00 minutes Tim pressures him against the fence and takes the back with a double under and sweeps him down. When Kelvin goes down to all 4s in a turtle position Tim keeps the body lock instead of changing his grip and attempting a seat belt to keep him down. He also doesn't attempt to get a hook in until Kelvin actually stands back up so he wasn't able to secure the position until the second attempt. On the second attempt he goes immediately for the hook and actually manages to flatten him out and attack the neck but he doesnt get the second hook in and Kelvin turns into him and scrambles. Now at this point hes still controlling the action but hes not able to do much damage and hes using a tremendous amount of energy while still not establishing both hooks.

As a small guy myself I love to attack from the back because it allows me to keep my opponents weight off me as much as I can. I understand though for a guy Tims size its not as easy but there are still many options. Not sure how much you have trained but just a quick example of some basics he could have done.

So I don't have much video of myself but here is a quick clip... I love to set up all kinds of attacks from the back. Though I don't recommend it, I will give up position if I think I have a high % choke. So in this clip he ends up belly down after the noob headlock and I don't give him any chance to get to his knees.. instead just bait him by letting him take top position while trapping his arm for the triangle

Back