US Gymnastics/ Larry Nassar Scandal

Based on the victim statements during sentencing...I wouldn't call that abuse. I'd call that Rape.

Just my opinion.

Rape and associated sexual crimes are heavily impacted by semantics and terms, run the gamut and vary widely.

I got this all into writing but wasn't fast enough to post it before more comments.

Here is some background regarding definitions:

As far as the term "Abuse" vs "Rape", the death penalty and Federal Statuary Sentencing Guidelines for sex offenses: rape falls under "Offenses Against the Person: Assault with Intent to Commit Sexual Abuse."

"Abuse" is a general term that criminal law and Federal Law defines several ways and includes "sexual abuse".

To me, "abuse" always sounds too mild for rape, but regarding Federal Statuary Sentencing, and Sex Offenses, it is accurate.

In December 2011 DOJ updated the definition of rape for the purpose of Use-of-Force reporting by agencies to the FBI’s Uniform Crime Report (UCR) Summary Reporting System (SRS). For reporting purposes, "Historical rape" refers to the old definition of "Forcible Rape". The definition was unchanged since 1927. The "new rape" definition dropped "forcible", removed gender and added penetration by foreign object.

From what I briefly read, Nassar's sex crimes were committed under the guise of actual medical procedures including one called a "Pelvic Floor Examination". From what I read, it was absolutely abuse and rape.

He pled but as I understand it, Nassar continues to say he is only guilty of performing medical procedures and not rape.

Probably more information then most people care to know.

He's a diseased animal that will always be a danger to life. That's my opinion.

I understand where PoliceMedic was going based on his response and educated myself based on the available federal statutes. Almost all capital crimes involve murder of some kind. He's going strictly from the Law and not an emotive response, which was what my response was.

But if a Person has over 100 Sexual Assault Victims...

I'm surprised this does not happen more often. I watched the video within the story, Nassar is lucky the cops were able to stop him...

'Give me one minute with that bastard.' Father rushes Larry Nassar after daughters give victim impact statements

"Assistant Attorney General Angela Povilaitis, the lead prosecutor, warned the gallery not to repeat Margraves' outburst, saying it's not helping the victims or the community. She told them to use their words, not physical violence.
'You cannot behave like this,' Povilaitis said. 'This is letting him have his power over us.'"

I agree with the AAG. Dr. Nassar done enough to manipulate people to get his way.

What comes next for him is going to be far, far less pretty than what the dad had planned to do in a locked room for one minute.

It would suck for him to have his asshole stapled back together, not everyone's a fan of 'feeling teeth' and one might use a weight bar right there on the exercise yard to break his coccyx from the inside.

That's an owie.

The dad is lucky he was stopped. His daughter has been through enough. Seeing her dad behind bars isn't going to help anything. I get it, but calm the fuck down dude.

It’s not lost on me that this decision was released on a Friday afternoon of a Holiday weekend while the rest of the news is talking about Texas.
By Tuesday nobody will even be discussing this. Well played USA, well played.

Senators call decision not to prosecute FBI agents in Larry Nassar case ‘infuriating’

Two key senators said the decision by the Justice Department not to prosecute FBI agents who did not act on reports of abuse by former USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar was "infuriating."

"FBI agents who knew of Larry Nassar’s abuse, did nothing, and then lied about it will face no legal consequences for their actions," Sens. Richard Blumenthal and Jerry Moran said in a news release. "Dozens of athletes would have been spared unimaginable abuse if these agents had just done their jobs."

Senators call decision not to prosecute FBI agents in Larry Nassar case ‘infuriating’

Back