What Is A "Deployment" Anyway?

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
In light of the back and forth regarding the military records of the two VP candidates, I've decided to write an article about what veterans consider a deployment. Looking for input, especially if you've seen the definition written down in anything official.

Thinking a deployment is anytime you deploy outside CONUS. I consider a planned deployment to a combat zone a "tour" but I don't know if that's an official term or just military jargon.
Along those lines, what does "deploy" mean? For example, if I go TDY to the UK for two weeks, am I deployed?

*In best carnival monger voice*

No deployment is complete without shooting shitheads, IED hopscotch, EFP rigmarole, and who can forget our popular VBIED freeze tag! Step right up folks! Kids you must get written permission from your parents if you wanna join in on the shenanigans!

*End carnival monger voice *

Not a veteran here, but when I hear deployment I think of a training work up followed by an extended stay in a foreign country with hostilities. My family being Navy and deploying to Singapore and Bahrain while describing it as “pretty much a vacation” makes it hard for me to view deployments like that at the same degree as Iraq or Afghanistan for example.

Deployment to me, overseas supporting or performing an operational mission.

I don't think daily firefights are a requirement to count as a Deployment.

Going to Egypt for BRIGHT STAR=TDY
Going to Jordan to assist in the fight against ISIS= Deployment.

When does it stop being a Deployment and turn into a TDY or PCS?

Camp Arifjan as an example.
Army was PCS'd there with nice permanent Barracks.
ARCENT/CENTCOM folks had nice " temporary " housing and served 90 to 175 day TDY's. (telling everyone they were deployed).
Air Force was in more austere Barracks, and were running security on convoys into Iraq on a daily basis. TDY or Deployment? I'd say Deployment.

I think the VA actually has a pretty good definition:

What is Deployment?
Military deployment is the movement of armed forces. Deployment includes any movement from a military Service Member’s home station to somewhere outside the continental U.S. and its territories. One example would be when a unit based in the U.S. is deployed to another country to enter into a combat zone. Deployment is not restricted to combat; units can be deployed for other reasons such as humanitarian aid, evacuation of U.S. citizens, restoration of peace, or increased security.

Mobilization is when an individual or unit is sent somewhere within the continental U.S. or its territories. For example, a unit may have been mobilized to assist during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina to a location in Louisiana from their base in Illinois. Mobilizations count as deployments under the USERRA Act.
I think this is another thing where the GWOT kind of reduced our (service members as a whole) ability to differentiate things.

I had a decent number of my soldiers deploy for OIR back in 2021. Some of them had a combat deployment in (locations) and others had a rotational deployment to Kuwait.

Those are both "deployments" in my view.

We could get more granular with TDY/JCETs, but I still tthink you aren't wrong in you refer to those as a deployment.

It's a great question, I don't know that I've ever really thought about it. I do agree that it can be as an individual augmentee and not with a unit, it does not have to do anything with combat.

For semantics purposes, what does one call a movement when you are recalled into active duty and sent somewhere else in the continental US to serve for an unspecified amount of time? I don't know.

Well, Google-Fu-ing "how does the air force reserve define a deployment" came up with:

"when a Reserve member is recalled to active duty due to a validated need and approved legal authority"

So getting activated for ONE and reporting to Tyndall technically counted.

This is a spicy subject. 🍿

Deploying is a relative term and means something different to everyone. In my opinion, and just my opinion alone (probably), deploying should be defined as going to war with your mates. That means regardless of rank, you get on a vessel of sorts (sea/air/land) and you get off to bring harm to the enemy of the United States. Your job (MOS/AFSC/Navy words) depends on what this means but end state you are supporting the war fighter at some capacity. If you are a Senior Leader, and you have guys going into combat, you should be as close as possible. If that means Kuwait, awesome...if that means Qatar....super...Could this mean Italy, MAYBE.....but more info is needed.

Again, this is the Webster-Merriam-Sponge definition which means nothing to anyone but felt good to say it!

;-):ROFLMAO::thumbsup:

Last edited:
For us, leaving CONUS for over 90 days equals a deployment. Anything less than that is a TAD/TDY unless you returned early because of combat action (you were wounded or killed). PCS over seas is something else technically, but you can still earn deployment ribbons doing so.

Deploying is a relative term and means something different to everyone. In my opinion, and just my opinion alone (probably), deploying should be defined as going to war with your mates. That means regardless of rank, you get on a vessel of sorts (sea/air/land) and you get off to bring harm to the enemy of the United States. Your job (MOS/AFSC/Navy words) depends on what this means but end state you are supporting the war fighter at some capacity. If you are a Senior Leader, and you have guys going into combat, you should be as close as possible. If that means Kuwait, awesome...if that means Qatar....super...Could this mean Italy, MAYBE.....but more info is needed.

Again, this is the Webster-Merriam-Sponge definition which means nothing to anyone but felt good to say it!

;-):ROFLMAO::thumbsup:
I like this definition a lot, well said!

Back