Who is your favorite fictional character from a book and why is it Jack Reacher?

Dienekes - Gates of Fire(also one of the best books I have ever read)

Gates of Fire is one of the few books I make sure to read once every year. I've read almost all of Pressfield's other books, and they are great. "Tides of War," "Virtues of War," and "The Afghan Campaign" are amazing.

Gates of Fire is one of the few books I make sure to read once every year. I've read almost all of Pressfield's other books, and they are great. "Tides of War," "Virtues of War," and "The Afghan Campaign" are amazing.

I agree. Love Pressfield's writing. I'm sure you've read it, but I thought Killing Rommel was very good. It's not quite on the level of Gates Of Fire, but good nonetheless. Check it out if you haven't already.

In response to the original question, I'd have to say Paul Atreides from Dune. He has two other aliases in the book, Usul and Maud'Dib. If you've seen the movie, you know the story line is quite fantastical. The book is just outstanding though. I'm not a huge fan of science-fiction, but Frank Herbert puts an incredible amount of thought and detail into the environment, politics, relationships and the depth and breadth of each character. It's very easy to identify with the characters and the story even though it's played out far into the future in a fictional galaxy. Treachery, heroism, revenge, deceit, loyalty, love, hate...what's not to like?

J, it's basically a matter of size and demeanor.... Reacher is physically huge in the books, and intelligent, but not wordy... both of these traits are reversed by casting Tom Cruise. I would have gone with Ving Rhames, or Jason Stratham... the race thing would have been an easier stretch with Mr. Rhames.

Ving Rhames - wow.

Chalk the Reacher movie up to another "what coulda been..." if only for better casting.

Mr Clark and Mitch Rapp are such well developed and written characters that they are quite compelling.

My classic top character is Nick Charles (The Thin Man, Dashiell Hammett detective novel) .

Whiskeyjack, Anomander Rake and Quick Ben - Malazan Book Of The Fallen series.

The greatest series of books I've ever read... Ever.

Back