WW2 amphib landing with highest casualty rate

Devildoc

Verified Military
I did not know this, and not what I would have guessed. Not Normandy, not Okinawa, not Iwo Jima...it was Peleliu. 50,000 Marines and soldiers against about 10,000 Japanese, one in three Americans were killed or wounded. Those numbers are staggering.

I did not know this, and not what I would have guessed. Not Normandy, not Okinawa, not Iwo Jima...it was Peleliu. 50,000 Marines and soldiers against about 10,000 Japanese, one in three Americans were killed or wounded. Those numbers are staggering.

From a ratio perspective I'm not surprised, though I would have easily put money on Iwo Jima.

I think the powers that be got the tides times wrong so the LC dropped off the troopies way too far out, making them have to wade in a considerable distance. A shooing gallery resulted.

I think the powers that be got the tides times wrong so the LC dropped off the troopies way too far out, making them have to wade in a considerable distance. A shooing gallery resulted.

I believe that was Tarawa. I could be wrong.

Ok, correction on my post. What was the issue on Peleliu?

The Japanese were fortified in a way that had not been to that point and changed tactics. Instead of concentrating most of their fire onto the beaches they moved further inland and established significant defenses and used terrain features to their advantage. Regarding the beaches they also used a lot more beach obstacles so the Marines and Army could land fewer personnel at a time.

Back