2 WV Troopers Shot and Killed

Centermass

Ranger
Rest In Peace
Workman, 26, had been in Charleston Area Medical Center in a coma since Tuesday night when he was shot by Luke Baber following a traffic stop. He succumbed to his injuries on Friday.

Workman and Corporal Marshall Bailey arrested Baber for driving erratically along I-79 near the Clay-Roane County line. Baber, while sitting in the back of the cruiser, his hands handcuffed in front of him, pulled a pistol he had hidden in his pants and shot both troopers.

Bailey died at the scene while Workman was rushed to the hospital where he was placed on life support, but his condition never improved and was ultimately taken off life support.

Baber was shot and killed by sheriff’s deputies from Clay and Roane counties as he tried to get away.

Roane County Sheriff’s Deputy John Westfall suffered several gunshot wounds in the shootout with Baber, but he was protected by a bulletproof vest. Westfall remains in Charleston Area Medical Center following surgery, but is recovering.

Additionally, a tow truck driver from Kings Wrecker Service, William Massey, was also shot by Baber. His wounds were not serious and he was treated and released from the hospital.

While an absolute tragedy, a few things to remember.

No traffic stops are ever routine.

Never ever get complacent.

A pat down is not a substitute for a thorough search and / or a secondary search.

I have said it before (Here and elsewhere) and I will say it again-I will never understand handcuff placement in the front (And if there is a specific reason that warrants it, use a waist chain)

MarshallLeeBailey.jpg
EricWorkman2.jpg

Corporal Marshall Bailey and Trooper Eric Workman.

Rest easy Brothers.

~S~ .

Back