Missing/Captured: Bowe Bergdahl

How did this "individual" make Sgt?

He needs to be brought back, even if only to have his arse kicked. It's not that he will provide anything more useful than another mouth to feed in the Army's school for naughty boys IMO but whilst he's able to be dragged out at will for the camera by his captors its not good for the image or for morale.

In the US military, POWs/captured-missing personnel get automatically promoted while their in captivity.

Absolutely he matters. While I agree that there is speculation as to "how" he was captured, there are no facts. Maybe he was somehow tricked to go outside the line? There is lots of circumstancual evidence, but again, no facts. As your article stated, we should not leave an American soldier to rot at the hands of the enemy, if he was wrong, then he should come home and face American Justice. But there in lies my problem, we are a country that LOVES a hero and hates having to learn about the facts. My concern is that he will come home to a heroes welcome, whether he deserves it or not. I think back to the movie Wag the Dog, if we need a hero, we will manufacture a hero. The average American will have a hard time considering Sgt. Bergdahl a villian unless there is a very detailed case laid out.

But there in lies my problem, we are a country that LOVES a hero and hates having to learn about the facts. My concern is that he will come home to a heroes welcome, whether he deserves it or not. I think back to Jessica Lynch, if we need a hero, we will manufacture a hero. The average American will have a hard time considering Sgt. Bergdahl a villian unless there is a very detailed case laid out.

Fixed your post.

@lindy , solid fix. and IIRC, she was actually pretty vocal about the fact that she didn't want anything to do with the media firestorm that tried to portray her actions as more than they were.

@lindy , solid fix. and IIRC, she was actually pretty vocal about the fact that she didn't want anything to do with the media firestorm that tried to portray her actions as more than they were.

Correct. My point was that the "machine" will create the scene to fit the image they want to portray...like in "Wag the Benghazi".

The only American solider held prisoner in Afghanistan has been freed from Taliban captivity in exchange for the release of five Afghan detainees from the U.S. prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, Obama administration officials said Saturday.

Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl was handed over to U.S. special forces by the Taliban Saturday evening, local time, in an area of eastern Afghanistan, near the Pakistan border. Officials said the exchange was not violent and the 28-year-old Bergdahl was in good condition and able to walk.

Several dozen U.S. special operations forces flew into Afghanistan by helicopter and made the transfer with the approximately 18 Taliban members. The official said the commandos were on the ground for a short time, before lifting off with Bergdahl

According to a senior defense official traveling with Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel in Singapore, once Bergdahl climbed onto the noisy helicopter he took a pen and wrote on a paper plate, the letters "SF?" — asking the troops if they were special operations forces.

They shouted back at him over the roar of the rotors: "Yes, we've been looking for you for a long time."

Link

No negotiating with terrorists... :hmm:

Now lets do the right thing and properly investigate and/or charge this guy with desertion.

Fuck this guy. Twice. Maybe 4 or 70 times.

ALLLLLL the other BS associated with him AND we release (errr, "exchange") some terrorists for this dude AND his first communication is to inquire who rescued him? SF? Dick fuck, you are finally a free man, WTF does it matter WHO picked you up? SF, SEALS, Boy Scout Troop 1, Greenpeace....hell, anyone but Jesse Jackson? No..."God Bless America" or "Is this real" or "I'm finally going home?!" or anything...he gathers intel. Yeah, I'm paranoid or skeptical or whatever, but Nicholas Brody is rubbing one out right now.

This thing stinks. Anyone taking bets on whether we'll prosecute (HAHAHAHAHAHA!) or treat him like a hero?

Fuck this guy.

He gets treated like a Hero if WE, the Military and Veterans of this country allow it.

Call the local talk show, post on the National Talk Show Host Pages (FB, et al) and let everyone know he DESERTED.

You can cut his 15 min of fame down to 4 or 5 min if WE are vocal.

Great!

And until I am led to believe otherwise, I will be anxiously awaiting his court martial for desertion.

While I generally agree with your view of the situation, I wouldn't hold my breath for any kind of rigorous investigation into the circumstances of how he wound up in Taliban hands...

He gets treated like a Hero if WE, the Military and Veterans of this country allow it.

Call the local talk show, post on the National Talk Show Host Pages (FB, et al) and let everyone know he DESERTED.

You can cut his 15 min of fame down to 4 or 5 min if WE are vocal.

I would like some proof before that happens though. e.g. interviews with his peers etc... We all "know" what happened, or think we do, but I'd like to see something solid on this. A google search of "bergdahl deserter" shows that the media has covered his actions which is good.

...and I'm already fighting this on Facebook.

Folks, the war came to a halt in RC East while units best the bushes for this turd. CAS was set aside for this guy and we don't exactly have airframes sitting around. This turd can hang unless someone can show me that he was kidnapped or otherwise coerced and his actions DID NOT contribute to his "vacation."

Glad we got him back, I don't wish that situation on any American. The Army should investigate him and his actions, not only leading to his capture but also his conduct while in captivity.

If he deserted he should get time served and a dishonorable discharge, no benefits and quietly sent home with an NDA that he cannot write any books or do any movie deals.

My $.02

Back