Music

Devildoc

Verified Military
I grew up in band: I played most low brass (baritone/euphonium, tuba, trombone), upright bass, and percussion, straight from 6th grade through senior year of college. I can honestly say I like most music genres, but I love jazz and classical. I have been listening to a lot of jazz lately. In this crazy world music keeps me sane.

Today's except brought to you by Mel Torme (1966), "All That Jazz", from the movie "A Man Called Adam" (a must-see if you like jazz).

@ Devildoc... I also grew up with music.... an uncle who was a Jazz musician, Claudio Arau lived in my town, Maestro Willard MacGregor was a friend of the family, there were a few Master Teachers (certified) in town. I did get to see Stravinsky play in a friend's living room in the early 70's.

If you like Classical guitar - try this guy Eliot Fisk

@ Devildoc... I also grew up with music.... an uncle who was a Jazz musician, Claudio Arau lived in my town, Maestro Willard MacGregor was a friend of the family, there were a few Master Teachers (certified) in town. I did get to see Stravinsky play in a friend's living room in the early 70's.

If you like Classical guitar - try this guy Eliot Fisk

I know Fisk (well, I don't 'know him' know him, I know his music...)....he is a classical guitar legend. Branford Marsalis lives in my town (as did his father until he died), I studied bass under Carroll Dashiell and with him and his jazz ensembles back in the ealy 90s did some master classes with Harry Connick, Jr. One of my few life regrets was stopping playing.

Stravinsky, man, composers and directors like that are unicorns.

I've started to get into Jazz and Classical but I'm still a pretty big noobie in regards to it all. I've found myself being drawn to a lot of hard bop, free jazz, and other similar genres that I'm not sure the names of. In regards to older Jazz releases I enjoy the following.

I also enjoy Davis, Coltrane, Hancock, but I'm pretty surface level in regards to them. However for newer stuff Kamasi Washington is a favorite of mine.

Classical, I love Chopin. I'll add more stuff tonight when I'm off.

I like Chopin, but my daughter, who is a very good and serious pianist, plays Chopin a lot, so now I am like "ugh".

Mingus was probably one of the greatest jazz bassists ever. I tried to emulate his style when I played but I was like less than 1% as talented.

Monk is one of my favorite pianists, jazz or otherwise. Herbie Hancock is great; early on he played piano with Miles Davis. Dave Brubeck and his crazy time signatures; Vince Guaraldi (he did the Peanuts music; Charlie Brown Christmas CD is iconic 60s jazz).

I've started to get into the Jazz Fusion scene in Japan during the 70s and 80s. A lot of stuff I can put on in the background while I'm cooking or reading.

Today's selection, some Linda and Blue Bayou:

I was but a wee lad when she sang this, but my sister--who turns 60 next week--had this album and played the hell out of it. Man, I loved this song.

The other day I heard this instant classic on some funny Instagram post and thought he sounded familiar. Then realized it's a more recent piece by the greatest rapper of all time, the one and only; Froggy Fresh.

Back