Review The Battle of Midway - Craig Symonds

AWP

SOF Support
Earlier I reviewed Shattered Sword which looked at Midway from the Japanese side. The book was excellent and very detailed

Review - Shattered Sword: The Japanese Story of the Battle of Midway

I just read The Battle of Midway by Craig L. Symonds and I think it may be the better of the two books. I say "better" because it covers knowledge from Shattered Sword to flesh out details about the Imperial Japanese Navy while also presenting the US side. It is definitely a forest level book, though it doesn't come close to the level of detail provided in Shattered Sword.

Unless you want to drill down into the minutiae covered in my thread above, you'll probably want Symonds' book. It is rather simplified compared to SS, but that may appeal to more readers.

Just went on the list.

It is a much faster and more "shallow" read than Shattered Sword, but hits upon the high points. It sacrifices detail, but not important or controversial points. Two stark examples: SS went into Japanese plans into detail whereas this book touched upon them in one or two paragraphs. SS spent several pages on the process to rearm and launch Japanese warplanes and this book again reduced that section to a few paragraphs.

I have not read Shattered Sword, but The Battle of Midway is great. If you are into the Pacific Theater of WWII, I recommend The Admirals: Nimitz, Halsey, Leahy, and King by Walter Borneman, and The Pacific War: 1941-45 by John Costello. The former is a fast read, the latter much like a history text.

Incredible Victory by Walter Lord is another great account of the battle.

I have not read Shattered Sword, but The Battle of Midway is great. If you are into the Pacific Theater of WWII, I recommend The Admirals: Nimitz, Halsey, Leahy, and King by Walter Borneman, and The Pacific War: 1941-45 by John Costello. The former is a fast read, the latter much like a history text.

I've read Costello's book several times and I like it very much but have noted some errors. In Chapter 17, he identifies Col. Edson as commanding the 2nd Raider Battalion spearheading the attack on Tulagi on Aug 7th...when in fact Edson commanded the First Raiders. The 2nd Raiders didn't get to the 'Canal until early November '42 and they, of course, were commanded by Evans Carlson. (pg 323)

In Chapter 18 he misidentifies the 7th Marine Regiment as the 7th Marine Divison. (pg 347.)

My edition is quite old so I'm guessing these errors have been cleaned up in subsequent printings. They irked me a bit when I first noticed them but they haven't spoiled my appreciation for this otherwise excellent and comprehensive work.

One thing I really like about it is his attention to the Aussie campaign on New Guinea and the British and US efforts in Burma, a theatre that in some histories seems to take a backseat.

Incredible Victory by Walter Lord is another great account of the battle.

I've read Costello's book several times and I like it very much but have noted some errors. In Chapter 17, he identifies Col. Edson as commanding the 2nd Raider Battalion spearheading the attack on Tulagi on Aug 7th...when in fact Edson commanded the First Raiders. The 2nd Raiders didn't get to the 'Canal until early November '42 and they, of course, were commanded by Evans Carlson. (pg 323)

In Chapter 18 he misidentifies the 7th Marine Regiment as the 7th Marine Divison. (pg 347.)

My edition is quite old so I'm guessing these errors have been cleaned up in subsequent printings. They irked me a bit when I first noticed them but they haven't spoiled my appreciation for this otherwise excellent and comprehensive work.

One thing I really like about it is his attention to the Aussie campaign on New Guinea and the British and US efforts in Burma, a theatre that in some histories seems to take a backseat.

Damn....your memory is....outstanding. I am impressed that I recall reading it at all.

Right now reading Roosevelt's Centurions: FDR & the Commanders He Led to Victory in World War II by Joseph Persico. I will let you know how it is as I am only 6% into it (per Kindle).

Back