The Grappler Bumper for pursuit vehicles

Ha, dont see depts goin that route. Most are getting away from pursuits all together, at least down here. Except Troopers. God bless Troopers.

If the pursuit vehicle (LEO), rear ends the chase vehicle, will the snare system still be deployable?
Actually, a team of shitbag lawyers deploy with 10 yr old pictures of their 'Victim clients' in choir and graduation gowns, before they were selling drugs and assaulting baby-mammas (yes, a word I have used on court record), and sue you & city for $1mil+.

Just throw a strand of concertina out in front of the vehicle... once that gets wrapped around the axle game over ;)

Yup, anything they can do to turn the tables and blame the cops, the perps are going to do.

I guess the question is, will this grappler stop fleeing drivers enough to reduce, if no bring an end to chases that wind up injuring people? People I see defined as the LEOs, perps, and collateral involvement.

And how well does it work in situations other than demonstrations?

Right now it looks a bit like some Larry Lightbulb contraption...but I see potential. Let some engineers have at it and who knows?

The pit maneuver is great but there's risk involved with regard to collaterals anytime you try to spin somebody around. And if you can't block them in right away, they can still take off. With spikestrips the car can still careen for a distance, even on rims.

The grappler system seems to stop them in their tracks.

Anyone remember the little remote controlled little car that would drive up under the chased vehicle, and then disabling the ignition system?

Did that ever get used by anyone?

They're known as Targeted Impulse Systems (EMP's of sorts) and so far, they've never been fielded on a wide scale basis.

The other system that is getting a lot of reviews and study is known as Starchase. Consists of a GPS dart fired at the vehicle (Like Nerf ammo) sticks to the vehicle and you get the picture.

Anyone remember the little remote controlled little car that would drive up under the chased vehicle, and then disabling the ignition system?

Did that ever get used by anyone?

I thought of this after reading your post:

tk9ekrpynk77pgliclgd.jpg

Just PIT them at 80 MPH and watch them flip on down the highway.
Makes most sense, but I dont know of a PD or county still doing PIT. Even Troopers left it, but I hear rumor theyre getting it back. Like the LVNR its a great tool but if you dont have the training its not your tool, and no agency will support the training. They dont want to catch bad guys anymore, just go to burglar alarms and take crash reports.

Makes most sense, but I dont know of a PD or county still doing PIT. Even Troopers left it, but I hear rumor theyre getting it back. Like the LVNR its a great tool but if you dont have the training its not your tool, and no agency will support the training. They dont want to catch bad guys anymore, just go to burglar alarms and take crash reports.

Minnesota Highway Patrol still practices and executes, "PIT".

Back