USNA questions

Well, my son did not get either senatorial nomination. He just interviewed with our congressman's panel Monday so there's still a chance...but I think it may not happen.

Last edited:
I'm really sorry to hear that. While it may be a long shot, I'll still cross my fingers and say a prayer for your son with regards to the congressional panel.

Thanks for the kind words.

The one nomination he has now was awarded directly to him by the Naval Academy. And we're not sure if it'll have much impact without another outside nomination because it was awarded based on my service-connected injuries. Obviously he wants to get in on his own merit. Apparently he will still meet with his Blue and Gold officer at some point in the near future, so on reflection, I think there's an outside chance.

Last edited:

The one nomination he has now was awarded directly to him by the Naval Academy. And we're not sure if it'll have much impact without another outside nomination because it was awarded based on my service-connected injuries. Obviously he wants to get in on his own merit. Apparently he will still meet with his Blue and Gold officer at some point in the near future, so on reflection, I think there's an outside chance.
Did he put in for a Presidential nomination?

He may still get into the Naval Preparatory School (NAPS). I went to NAPS as did Force Recon Marine, Navy Cross recipient and Ranger Hall of Fame member Col John Ripley. The school sucks but it does prepare you for the academy and graduation automatically gets you a slot at USNA.

Sad to learn of the news about the USNA slot. Along with ROTC, and NAPS, there are the programs at VMI and The Citadel. I know very little about the Citadel, but my son is a VMI '97 alum, and we have been foundation members for a very long time. VMI, and likely the Citadel as well, offer ROTC, and reserve opportunities. The is always a way, and loans for undergrad education, are a good investment. Best of luck.

Don't fret too much. A lot of students only get one nomination (Congressmen or Senator). If I remember correctly, only one nomination is required. A nomination direct from USNA shouldn't hurt his application, ultimately it's the Admissions Board that makes the decision. Chips all in and best wishes for an acceptance letter!

Thanks once again for the comments, advice, etc. It's very much appreciated. Chris also applied to the Coast Guard Academy and the Air Force Academy based on some of the suggestions we got on this thread. So we'll see. Of my three boys he's the first one that's wanted a military career.

Well......this is kinda strange. My son just got a call from our congressman's office telling him they're awarding him a nomination to the Merchant Marine Academy. That's the one academy he didn't apply to. Apparently, once he completes the first part of the MM application they will formally nominate him.

Guess we better watch Captain Phillips again.

Interesting development. Congratulations to your son!

Out of curiousity, I wonder if MM grads have gone Navy, and how things turned out for them?

Congratulations to your son!

That could certainly start him on an interesting journey.

The more we look into it the better it sounds. Apparently, he'd get an officer's commission upon graduation which would be acceptable for any military branch or merchant marine, a BS degree and a Coast Guard license. So he'd have some options regarding the 5-year service committment.

The more we look into it the better it sounds. Apparently, he'd get an officer's commission upon graduation which would be acceptable for any military branch or merchant marine, a BS degree and a Coast Guard license. So he'd have some options regarding the 5-year service committment.

As far as I know he would have to attend OCS in order to receive a Marine Corps commission (Naval Academy graduates do not). I have known at least one Marine Corps officer who graduated from the Merchant Marine academy. I think they earn pretty good money on their summer cruises too.

Back