Sig XM7

Cause it feels like the shit that's being designed is being engineered by pencil pushers, who don't have to hump that weight day in and day out.

We were skinny dudes--certainly not the gym rats a lot of guys are today-- living on c-rats and cigarettes, humping half or more than half our weight in gear in high heat/humidity, over various difficult terrain. We waddled. If you sat down you had to be helped up. Equipment straps made furrows in our shoulders.

I suspect the average load-out for legs is similar today. Joe won't break. His body will pay...but he will rise to the occasion, always does. I can tell you one thing for certain: ergonomically, the gear designed in the past 20-30 years at least fits better and has better weight distribution than all the shit that hung off us.

lzbaldy copy.jpg

We were skinny dudes--certainly not the gym rats a lot of guys are today-- living on c-rats and cigarettes, humping half or more than half our weight in gear in high heat/humidity, over various difficult terrain. We waddled. If you sat down you had to be helped up. Equipment straps made furrows in our shoulders.

I suspect the average load-out for legs is similar today. Joe won't break. His body will pay...but he will rise to the occasion, always does. I can tell you one thing for certain: ergonomically, the gear designed in the past 20-30 years at least fits better and has better weight distribution than all the shit that hung off us.
That's the thing. The load outs are going to be higher, as will the operational tempo, but the pool of available bodies is and will be a lot smaller. Of those able and willing to fight there are demonstrable differences in physicality, due to nutrition and environmental factors, that we now have to factor for. We can't afford to break trigger pullers like we used to.

1st Battalion, 506th Infantry Regiment, 101st, have now begun officially fielding this.

View attachment 44396

It's sexy and all, but the people saying it's gonna be a game changer because of the "FCS". I don't really look at an optic as a Fire Control System, this is not a stabilized gun platform (tank/IFV). BUt the Scope is sick.

The Optic seems incredibly expensive. Army finally picks an optic for Next Generation Squad Weapon

But like with anything, shooters won't be as good of shooters as they could be as they won't be allocated the kinda money to become good shooters...

Looking forward to the internet gun experts posting wherever 6-12 months from now about how they have a friend who said they were part of the test program and the weapon is (Insert Mad Libs gun review here).

AR15.com is gonna' be lit.
Glarfcom likes to be dramatical. They have persona's that need to be soothed in the echo chamber of gnashed teeth and failed lives.

Pardon my ignorance, but why would the Automatic Rifleman not have an M18? He's got twice the weight and if he has to go to hands, the 250 is not as easy to smash faces in unlike an 8 pound M7.

I dunno, I am weird like that when asking these questions. The spirit of the bayonet still flows through me. I was also asking questions pre GWOT why non CS got less trigger time and unarmored vehicles. Was told by an "esteemed colleague" that we'd be behind the lines and don't need armor on the trucks with guns mounted to them and not on the roads delivering supplies to COP and other FOB's an stuff.

I'm thinking guys like the above still exist in the Army, which is why I am asking just to make sure I'm not the one that's ignorant or am I?

It has always been my experience that in the real world, JoeMolly don't really give a fuck one way or the other. If you make JoeMolly's load a little lighter by making Xem carry a smaller weapon and smaller bullets, Xe will voluntarily up the weight of Xir ruck by stuffing it full of pogey bait and snivel gear. If you make Xir load heavier, Xe will start leaving the back plate out of Xir body armor - or forgetting to pack those extra batteries that Xe knows aren't going to get used.

I've watched SF guys leave the wire with a camel back, four spare mags of 556, and an M9 with a spare pistol mag - and the rest of the ammo was jammed into an assault pack that was tossed on the floor of the truck.
...and a Bass Pro Shops baseball hat
...and know in their heart that they were ready to take on Ghengis Khans Army.

I've seen others going on a local presence patrol to go and drink tea with the local elders, leave that same wire with more fucking body amror than you can shake an MRAZR at - 10 magazines of 556, 3 spare pistol mags, two hand grenades, and enough flex cuffs to repair the Francis Scott Key Bridge...
...then snug down their personally owned OpsCore Helemt with their rail-mounted peltors

JoeMolly is gonna do what JoeMolly is gonna do. The bean counters and aqusitions nerds mean nothing. They could outfit me and my ODA with Adidias Jogging suits, Marlin Model-60s, and 2x power Tasco scopes and one of those jokers would have been seen leaving the wire in Patagonia Pants, a Glock 19, and a Krinkov.
...bean counters be damned

Or at least thats just what I heard

Last edited:
It has always been my experience that in the real world, JoeMolly don't really give a fuck one way or the other. If you make JoeMolly's load a little lighter by making Xem carry a smaller weapon and smaller bullets, Xe will voluntarily up the weight of Xir ruck by stuffing it full of pogey bait and snivel gear. If you make Xir load heavier, Xe will start leaving the back plate out of Xir body armor - or forgetting to pack those extra batteries that Xe knows aren't going to get used.

I've watched SF guys leave the wire with a camel back, four spare mags of 556, and an M9 with a spare pistol mag - and the rest of the ammo was jammed into an assault pack that was tossed on the floor of the truck.
...and a Bass Pro Shops baseball hat
...and know in their heart that they were ready to take on Ghengis Khans Army.

I've seen others leave on a local presence patrol to go and drink tea with the local elders, leave that same wire with more fucking body amror than you can shake an MRAZR at - 10 magazines of 556, 3 spare pistol mags, two hand grenades, and enough flex cuffs to repair the Francis Scott Key Bridge...
...then snug down their personally owned OpsCore Helemt with their rail-mounted peltors

JoeMolly is gonna do what JoeMolly is gonna do. The bean counters and aqusitions nerds mean nothing. They could outfit me and my ODA with Adidias Jogging suits, Marlin Model-60s, and 2x power Tasco scopes and one of those jokers would have been seen leaving the wire in Patagonia Pants, a Glock 19, and a Krinkov.
...bean counters be damned

Or at least thats just what I heard

"Hey, doc, is that authorized."

"Yes. By me."

Oh, I made so many NCOs unhappy because of what I carried and how I looked.

That seems like a lot of pistols.

On the Bayonet comment, not designing with a bayonet lug is a mistake. There were more than a handful of bayonet charges in Afghanistan.

What are the odds of buttstroking someone without rendering your M-4 unable to fire?

Coolest thing about the M320 is it can fire Pike missiles.

I carried the M79 for about two months and the XM-174 for about a week, using the former in multiple contacts with varied munitions (primarily HE and lume) and the latter in one contact, trading it in for a rifle after finding it impractical in the jungle. I've followed the R&D of GLs since then.

I'd like to know how the 320 feels and shoots. The 79 was very accurate. Once you got dialed in with the ladder sights and familiar with barrel elevation it became instinct and you didn't need the sights. Max range was about 400 yds.

The Pike munition has a range of 2000+ yards. That's just crazy.

Last edited:
Back