112th Signal Battalion unveils monument

Ravage

running up that hill
http://news.soc.mil/releases/News Archive/2009/April/090403-02.html

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (USASOC News Service, April 3, 2009) – Members of the 112th Special Operations Signal Battalion (Airborne) both young and old were on hand for the unveiling of a stone monument at the Airborne and Special Operations Museum in downtown Fayetteville, N.C. April 3.

Lt. Col. Samuel G. Anderson, the battalion’s commander explained that the memorial symbolizes a rich lineage that can be traced back to 1944.

“It really goes back to World War II with the 512th Signal Company, which was a glider organization,” he said.

That glider organization adopted the motto “Penetrate the Shadows” because of the way the silent flights knifed through the dark skies over Le Muy, France the August after D-Day. The battalion’s Soldiers are known as “Shadow Warriors.”

In 1945, the 512th Signal Company was deactivated and reconstituted as 112th Airborne Army Signal Battalion for just a few short months. More than 40 years later, as Army Special Operations needed a signal battalion, the 112th AASB came to mind. In September of 1986, the unit was reactivated as the 112th SOSB (A).

The reactivated battalion’s first commander, retired Brig. Gen. Dave Bryan, was the guest speaker at the unveiling ceremony.

“Today we set in stone the anchor which honors our past, and sets a standard of excellence for the future.” Bryan said. “I know all of these Shadow Warriors are just as proud today as I am.”

Fayetteville’s Airborne and Special Operations Museum is the location for memorial stones from a lot of agencies within the Army Special Operations Command and the 112th SB(SO) (A) is a little known piece of the community.

“It’s amazing. I mean it really is.” Anderson remarked. “This organization truly does have a phenomenal reputation within the Signal community, and justifiably so. A lot of the capabilities that we see in the USASOC community as well as in the Army in general, were ideas that were formed by members of this battalion both past and present. And to have it get this level of recognition while I’m the commander is pretty neat. It’s phenomenal.”

The stone memorial unveiled today was paid for by the Shadow Warrior Association.

“The purpose of the Shadow Warrior Association is to provide for families and Soldiers in the battalion, recognize outstanding achievements of the Soldiers and the families and eventually, build into a scholarship organization.” Anderson said.

qq69tt.jpg

Brig. Gen. Dave Bryan (Retired), former commander of the 112th Signal Battalion (Special Operations) (Airborne) participates during a memorial stone ceremony at the Fayetteville, N.C. Airborne and Special Operations Museum. (photo by Sgt. 1st Class Eric Hendrix).

Back